LEONOTIS LEONURUS.

Debasish Joardar

Jul 1, 2007, 10:51:21 AM7/1/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Photographed this Leonotis leonurus flower near Kangsabati Dam, Mukutmanipur, Dist- Bankura, (West Bengal) in end of November, 2005.

Leonotis Leonurus ( Leanurus leonurus)

Also known as Lion’s Tail or Wild Dagga.

Dagga is used to indicate Cannabis sativa and in South Africa “Wild Dagga” is used as a slang term for Leonotis Leonurus.

Family: Lamiaceae ( Mint ).

This plant is native to South Africa. The Xhosa tribe of South Africa made this plant popular for its medicinal and euphoric effects.

Blooming time : Autumn.

Euphoric effects :
The dried leaves and flowers are smoked like tobacco (often mixed with tobacco or cannabis) for their euphoric effects. The active chemical constituent responsible for this euphoric effect is Leonurine.
Smaller doses of dried leaf cause giddiness, mild euphoria and reduce stress. Higher doses of material results auditory or visual hallucination.

Medicinal Value:
In African countries the decoction of Wild Dagga leaf or root is used to treat eczema and different skin diseases. The extraction of leaves is used to relieve cough, cold and bronchitis. Its leaves and roots are used as a remedy for snakebite and other insect bites.
The Hottentot Tribes of South Africa use the foliage to prepare tea. This tea is effective to treat headache, high blood pressure.
It is proved that Wild Dagga can reduce breast tumor in mice.

Butterfly Garden  and Leonotis leonurus:-
It attracts birds, butterflies and bees.

Thanks,

Debasish Joardar.

100_4082.jpg
100_4115.jpg

alo

Jul 11, 2007, 1:23:02 PM7/11/07
to indiantreepix
Hi,
Friend------
Your photograph posted on 1st july------- herb with yellow coloured
flower & lanceolate leaves was -----------------------------------
Leonotis nepetifolia R.Br.
Here I want to inform you firstly that you just observe the
spelling of the Genus rank . It Belongs to the genus Leonotis
R.Br. . Not Leonurus Linn.
In West Bengal This Leonotis genus also possess only this single
species.

And we can differentiate these two genera depending upon the stamens
exserted/not & anther lobes parallel /divergent.

Hope now I can clear u regarding the confusions.
Pl reply.

Akram
Uluberia Royal Botanical Institute

> ---------------------------------

> Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers
>

> 100_4082.jpg
> 101KViewDownload
>
> 100_4115.jpg
> 97KViewDownload

DEBASISH JOARDAR

Jul 15, 2007, 11:39:13 PM7/15/07
to indiantreepix
Dear Alo,

Thanks for the correction with proper explanation.

Debasish Joardar.

> > 97KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

sibda...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2007, 11:12:08 AM9/1/07
to indiantreepix
Hi,
I collected this plant from Galudi, growing on the banks of river
Subarnarekha, sometimes in Dec. 2004