Names of Plants in India :: Tamil name for Bauhinia phoenicea B. Heyne ex Wight & Arn.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 7, 2016, 3:21:56 AM8/7/16
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Please help with name for Bauhinia phoenicea B. Heyne ex Wight & Arn. in Tamil - thukarakkali in Tamil script.
Reference: Singh, R.K., P.G. Diwakar & J.V. Sudhakar (2015). Bauhinia phoenicea B. Heyne ex Wight & Arn., the less known endemic and threatened liana of the southern Western Ghats, requires immediate conservation. Journal of Threatened Taxa 7(10): 7676–7682; http://dx.doi.org/10.11609/JoTT.o3825.7676-82

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar Raman

Aug 8, 2016, 12:22:52 AM8/8/16
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,
This name is unfamiliar to me. The possible script I can think of is either தூக்கரக்களி or தூக்கரக்காளி. I may be wrong.

Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

Dinesh Valke

Aug 8, 2016, 11:12:20 AM8/8/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
Thanks very much, Vijayasankar ji.
Hopefully we get to know the correct version; because it would be the only one on internet when it gets compiled ! :-)
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Aug 14, 2016, 10:20:33 AM8/14/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, JV SUDHAKAR
Many many thanks to Vijayasankar ji and Dr J. V. Sudhakar in giving the Tamil name ... தூக்கரக்களி thukarakkali ... received in personal mail.
Regards.
Dinesh