Malvaceae week 0905-9112011 UD 036 Abelmoschus esculentus

ushadi Micromini

Sep 11, 2011, 1:14:27 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh

Malvaceae week 0905-9112011 UD 036 Abelmoschus esculentus

These are my bhindi pics from a scanned pic, the original picture prints are from 2002 , sorry for the haze … in scanning

Could not resist showing off my bhidis we managed to grow in short growing season of constant intense heat that it needs.

Such season is very short up north, only starts in late june, and ends  in end of august….  For a few years every year I had planted a demonstration garden for visitors and children at NYBG family garden programme of Indian Vegetables and “My Grandmother’s scented garden of Indian scented aromatous plants…   we were a great curiosity and success … interacting with old and young alike, many world war 2 veterans would stop by and tell us about their time spent in Burma or Assam or Kolkata and eating these veggies…  etc etc….  I wish I had taped their stories for  living history...  always hindsight is 20/20, alas...

Family: Malvaceae

Genus:                 Abelmoschus

Species:               A. esculentus

Binomial:   Abelmoschus esculentus   (L.) Moench

 "lady's fingers,  bhinda,  bhindi or bhendi,    benda Kaya in Telugu

Enjoy, I did … we got 15 to twenty bhindis every 3 – 4 days… enjoyed eating…  most other vegetables we donated to the salvation army or other soup kitchens

Usha di

==

my binda msaller fileImage.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 11, 2011, 8:08:15 PM9/11/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Good concept of two pics in one Page
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tanay Bose

Sep 11, 2011, 8:41:05 PM9/11/11
to Balkar Arya, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Nice way to contribute for society using science
I appreciate it Usha Di
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

ushadi Micromini

Sep 12, 2011, 4:23:30 AM9/12/11
to Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Thanks Balkar hi: they were scanned  on one platter, I was too lazy to separate them.. also short of time... separately scanning would not have improved the quality any, I need one pic for editorial sort of figure for the Indian garden story any way..... so kept it together..

May I'll try it for other scenarios too...

Tanay , thanks for appreciating it...

Usha di
======