Heliconia rostrata (Hanging lobster claw)

J.M. Garg

Aug 31, 2007, 3:57:06 AM8/31/07
to indiantreepix
A lovely infloresence. Plant called Kalavati in Bengali, was shot at Narenderpur near Kolkata in a garden on 25/8/07.
For details, click:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconia
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Inflorescence pendant I IMG_9508.jpg
Plant with Inflorescence I IMG_9512.jpg

tilia_cora

Aug 31, 2007, 6:56:52 AM8/31/07
to indiantreepix

On Aug 31, 12:57 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A lovely infloresence. Plant called Kalavati in Bengali, was shot at
> Narenderpur near Kolkata in a garden on 25/8/07.

> For details, click:http://www.rareflora.com/heliconiaros.htmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconia

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "Enjoy every moment of your life"
>
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visithttp://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
>

> Inflorescence pendant I IMG_9508.jpg
> 147KViewDownload
>
> Plant with Inflorescence I IMG_9512.jpg
> 214KViewDownload

Actually this plant has no local name. Canna indica is known as
Kalabati or Sarbajaya in Bengali. Probably local people call this
plant Kalabati due to similar foliage. A nice photo. The flowers
persist for more than a month.