Fwd: Zygophyllaceae: Balanites aegyptiacus Delile

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2024, 6:17:06 AMJan 29
to efloraofindia, John Parrotta
Thanks a lot, John ji.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Parrotta <jparr...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 16:07
Subject: Zygophyllaceae: Balanites aegyptiacus Delile
To: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

location/date: Tumkur Distr., Karnataka, July 1997

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 11, 2024, 12:52:10 AMFeb 11
to efloraofindia, John Parrotta
This is Balanites roxburghii as per distribution given in POWO for both the species as below:
https://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:813589-1
https://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:813594-1

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 14, 2024, 6:56:36 AMFeb 14
to efloraofindia, John Parrotta
Thanks, John ji.
There has been a lot of confusion as different sources say different things.
GBIF (based on Catalogue of Life) states them as the same.
But POWO (treating the two as different) and BSI Flora of India do not agree with this.

Feb 14, 2024, 10:38:25 AMFeb 14
to efloraofindia, John Parrotta
Thanks, John ji.
GBIF follows taxonomy as per Catalogue of Life.
Most of our Experts find POWO is better than Catalogue of Life.

Feb 14, 2024, 10:39:54 AMFeb 14
to efloraofindia, John Parrotta
Particularly as far as Flora of India is concerned as it was documented by the British taxonomists initially.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg