Tamil name of Litsea deccanensis

Dinesh Valke

Oct 8, 2018, 1:12:14 PM10/8/18
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear friends, and Vijayasankar ji,
Please help me with the name perumbandali listed at Forest Flora of Andhra Pradesh.
Regards.
Dinesh

Bharathi raja

Oct 9, 2018, 7:42:12 AM10/9/18
to efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh,
From the below site I got the attachment attached here.
http://www.tnenvis.nic.in/tnenvis_old/database_bio_flo.htm

Tamil Name as per spreadsheet:
Perumpanjatti
floralchecklist.xls

J.M. Garg

Oct 9, 2018, 7:43:21 AM10/9/18
to Bharathi raja, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Bharathi ji

Dinesh Valke

Oct 9, 2018, 10:59:01 AM10/9/18
to J.M. Garg, Bharathi raja, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Bharathi ji, for the link and the name.
Please help me with the name in Tamil script.
Regards.
Dinesh

bharathi raja

Oct 10, 2018, 12:21:16 AM10/10/18
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
May be:
பெரும்பஞ்சட்டி - Perumpanjatti
பெரும்பண்டலி - Perumbandali
I have converted English to Tamil.
Some people who really knows the Tamil name of the tree needs to confirm it

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2018, 12:41:48 AM10/10/18
to Bharathi raja, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Thank you very very much, Bharati ji.
I will wait for Vijayasankar ji to comment.
Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Oct 11, 2018, 12:26:09 AM10/11/18
to Dinesh Valke, bharathi raja, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,

Bharathi ji's transcription looks good to me although I am not sure about the second name. A Telugu name for this species is "Pedda bandali" so the name "Perum bandali" could have been derived from its Telugu version but with incomplete (not sure) translation. The words 'pedda' (Telugu) and 'perum' (Tamil) share the same meaning 'big'.

PS: As you may be aware, the accepted name for this species is Actinodaphne quinqueflora (https://www.gbif.org/species/4176968)

Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Oct 11, 2018, 2:29:44 AM10/11/18
to Vijayasankar Raman, Bharathi raja, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Vijayasankar ji for providing clarity and information.
I will go with the better candidate among two - பெரும்பஞ்சட்டி perumpanjatti, though perum bandali is the one which is listed in quite a few papers / articles. That of course gets carried by just copy-paste !!

Bharathi ji, thank you very much too for the attempt of names in native script.

Also thanks Vijayasankar ji, for the scientific name update - quite a recent update, as much as 24 Sep 2018 in Catalog of Life. Will revise my notes accordingly.

Regards.
Dinesh