Lagerstroemia parviflora

Satish Phadke

Mar 25, 2010, 9:44:01 AM3/25/10
to indiantreepix Indian
Lagerstroemia parviflora (Bondara)
Family : Lythraceae Please validate.
This tree about 15 feet in height was observed flowering on 24Mar 2009. Pune Vetal Tekdi Near Mhatoba temple.
Points in favor....
Leaves 9*3.5 cm or so glabrous sessile. Flowers white in terminal and axillary panicled cyme.
Capsule 2.5 cm by 2 cm. Fruiting calyx tube 1cm deep. Some photos are of the same tree taken last year in fruiting phase.
Regards
Dr Phadke Satish

DSCN5599s.jpg
DSCN0446a.jpg
DSCN0440a.jpg
Lagerstroemia2.jpg
Lagerstroemia DSCN5614.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 25, 2010, 9:48:50 AM3/25/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian

Dear Satish Ji,
I agree with you this plant is

Lagerstroemia parviflora Roxb., ; Pl. Corom. 1: 47, t. 66 (1795).
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Neil Soares

Mar 25, 2010, 12:42:40 PM3/25/10
to Satish Phadke, tanay bose, indiantreepix Indian
Hi,
 This is Lagerstroemia lanceolata [L.microcarpa] locally called Bhondara / Seena. Have written about this earlier on this site - according to Dr. Almeida, Cooke had got it wrong in his 'Flora of Bombay' and most books have been perpetuating this fallacy.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Satish Phadke

Mar 30, 2010, 2:54:00 AM3/30/10
to indiantreepix Indian
Mar 30, 2010, 4:15:46 AM3/30/10
to indiantreepix Indian
From: Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:23 PM

Neil Soares

Mar 30, 2010, 6:42:37 AM3/30/10
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr.Satish,
  A thought occured to me - in case you have not seen the fruit of L.parviflora [Nana], they look like peanuts and are 12 - 18 mm long, whereas here in L.lanceolata [Bhondara], as you know, they look like 'acorns' and are usually 2-3 by 1-2cms.
  Also from my records over the last few years, Bhondara flowers now [from Apr -Jun] and fruits from Aug -Dec, whereas Nana flowers in Aug and friuts from Aug -Dec.
  Will try and send a comparative photograph of the fruit when I get back from Eaglenest.
                             With regards,
                                Neil Soares.

To:
"Satish Phadke" <phadke...@gmail.com>
Hi Dr.Satish,
  Checked your photographs. It is L. lanceolata / L.microcarpa locally called Bhondara / Seena. Have all these trees on my property. Have sent photographs earlier for comparison.You could find the link on this site. If required could send them again.
                       Regards,

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 6:51:33 AM3/30/10
to Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com

Neil Soares

Mar 30, 2010, 8:51:27 AM3/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr. Oudhia,
 This is the problem with Cooke having got it wrong. The fruit shown in your photographs are of L.lanceolata [Bhondara,Seena].
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 30, 2010, 9:12:21 AM3/30/10
to Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Three species of Lagerstroemia are reported from my state

Flowers more than 4 cm across, Calyx tube ridged- L. reginae
Flowers less than 3 cm across, Calyx tuber not ridged

1. Leaves glaucous beneath, fruits more than 1.5 cm long. -L. parviflora
2. Leaves pale green and pubescent beneath, fruits less than 1 cm long-L.indica

L. indica is shrub planted as ornament, L.parviiflora is shrub or tree whereas L.reginae is tree only.

[Source: Flora of Madhya Pradesh, BSI]

L. parviflora is known as Senha locally.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

JM Garg

Apr 23, 2019, 7:16:46 AM4/23/19
to efloraofindia, Satish Phadke, Neil Soares
After going through all the posts in efi site, I feel it is closer to images, details and keys at Lagerstroemia parviflora