Gmelina philippensis at Sagar Upvan

rashida atthar

Nov 11, 2009, 7:04:47 AM11/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

It was a pleasant surprise to see several aspects of this fascinating  shrub on a drizzly Nov. morning yesterday at Sagar Upvan (BPT gardens), Mumbai.

I quote the description of the shrub from Flora of Mah. Vol IV, pg 122: "A spinous shrub, scandent if shaded. It has smooth entire elliptic leaves 8 by 4 cm, glaucous beneath with scattered round glands, and pendulous panicles of large yellow flowers consisting of small cymes enclosed in large membranous purple veined bracts".

I saw leaves with two different shapes(polymorphy) on the same branch, and different branches. I suppose the green dots seen behind the leaves would be the glands.

The flowering period in the vol. is mentioned from April to August, I saw flowering  in November!

regards,
Rashida.

G. philippensis shrub.JPG
G.philippensis pendulous flowers bractsJPG.JPG
G.a philippensis flower.JPG
G.philippensis fruit.JPG
G. philippensis same branch polymorphy.JPG
G. philippensis polymorphy leaves.JPG
G. philippensis scattered glands.JPG
G. philippensis scattered glands 2JPG.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 11, 2009, 7:46:15 AM11/11/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
Nice depiction of different aspects of plant. I wish we have more and more uploads with similar details. In Delhi I have seen it flowering from atleast April till now, though it is not as profuse as it was in May-July. Also I have never seen it as upright shrub, mostly seen it as woody climber on walls and fences.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

rashida atthar

Nov 12, 2009, 3:45:38 AM11/12/09
to sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you sir for the appreciation and info. It seems it has a long flowering period. May I ask what could be the exact function of the glands in this shrub? Thank you.

regard,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:16:15 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:22815] Re: Gmelina philippensis at Sagar Upvan