Wild grapes? Request for ID-180610SC!

shobha chavda

Jun 18, 2010, 1:10:21 PM6/18/10
to indiantreepix
Request for ID-180610SC!

Dear All,
Posting a photo of Wild grape's  flowers from yeoor jungle.I want the confirmation and its botanical name.
Thanks,
Shobha

Copy of Wild Grapes ...jpg
Copy of Wild Grapes.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 18, 2010, 1:58:44 PM6/18/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
This is Ampelocissus (Vitaceae). If the leaves are hairless and unlobed, then it could be Ampelocissus latifolia.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 18, 2010, 11:56:12 PM6/18/10
to R. Vijayasankar, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Dear Vijaya Ji,
the leaves looks glabrous and entire hence I hope it is Ampelocissus latifolia.
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Neil Soares

Jun 19, 2010, 12:40:37 AM6/19/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Hi,
 This is not Ampelocissus latifolia [Vitis latifolia]. In A.latifolia the leaves are orbiculare,cordate, 3-7 lobed,sharply toothed and reticulately veined. Sending some of my photographs of A.latifolia taken on my property for comparison. [The leaves are admixed with those of Dioscorea bulbifera].
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 6/19/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wild Grapes leaves.jpg
Owl Moth.jpg
Wild Grapes.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 19, 2010, 2:17:15 AM6/19/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
You may be right Neil ji.

But what we see in the second picture are the leaves of host/supporting plant (Wrightia tinctoria?). Leaves of the climber are wanting in the picture.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Neil Soares

Jun 19, 2010, 3:09:13 AM6/19/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Hi Dr.Vijatasankar,
  You are right. The leaves in the second photograph are definitely of Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria]. The leaves of the climber are not seen in any of the photographs. [What caused the confusion was the 'hairless and unlobed' & the 'glabrous and entire' statements made by you and Tanay].
                        Regards,
                         Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 19, 2010, 4:18:08 AM6/19/10
to Neil Soares, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
... Owl Moth.jpg is seen by me as 2nd picture.

The cordate leaves in foreground are of Dioscorea bulbifera and the leaves with toothed-margin are of Ampelocissus latifolia.
Failing to see leaves of Wrightia tinctoria in it ... are the top-left leaves discussed ?

Regards.

Neil Soares

Jun 19, 2010, 6:39:29 AM6/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Hi Dinesh,
  We are referring to the original photographs in question sent by Ms.Shobha Chavda.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 19, 2010, 6:41:51 AM6/19/10
to Neil Soares, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
... oh ... my misunderstanding, Neil ji !!!
Regards.