Trichosanthes palmata

sibdas ghosh

Oct 17, 2008, 12:03:22 PM10/17/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Another member of the Genus Trichosanthes. Grows wild, a twining
climber, with very attractive fruits, which are not edible, emit foul
odour when fall on ground and rot- small mammals are attracted by the
odour. In Bengal known as Makal, which also means someone (or
something) very attractive, but without any merit.
DSCF0333.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 17, 2008, 8:15:14 PM10/17/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Ulhas

Oct 18, 2008, 5:11:51 AM10/18/08
to indiantreepix
Hi All

Trichosanthes palmata is known as 'Koundal' in Marathi. These very
attractive fruits are used for traditional decoration on 'mati' above
Ganesh idol during the Ganesh festival in Bhadrapad month (monsoon) in
Konkan. As the festival advances to the 11th day i.e. Anant
Chaturdashi, the colour of fruits would change from bright yellow to
deep red.

The fruits are very bitter, however this is popular food of Hornbills
during the monsoon season.

Best wishes

Ulhas Rane

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 18, 2008, 8:33:21 AM10/18/08
to Ulhas, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Is it the same as Kukraundha which is found in Eastern part of U.P. I remember from my childhood days that its leaves had antiseptic and antibiotic quality and it was widely used in the villages to cure various boils that trouble the children during the rainy season.
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

Oct 18, 2008, 9:24:31 AM10/18/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ulhas, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Hi, Anand ji,
These links give Taraxacum officinale for Kukraundha with medicinal use:http://www.ayurvedam.com/htm/hpandmpd.htm & http://www.home-remedies-guide.com/herbs/dandelion.htm

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 19, 2008, 4:46:28 PM10/19/08
to J.M. Garg, Ulhas, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
I don't know. I am a litttle bit confused. Maybe I am mixing up the names. The creeper I remember is wild, had Kundru like fruit, and which turned scarlet when ripe. Both birds and animals ate it, human beings less so. Its leaf I remember hadd medicinal value.
The link given by Mr garg says that it is a bush, whereas I distincly rember it as a creeper.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

JM Garg

Mar 22, 2020, 6:59:04 AM3/22/20
to efloraofindia, sibda...@gmail.com
Fruits are of Trichosanthes bracteata (Lam.) Voigt as per Revision of the Trichosanthes tricuspidata – bracteata complex (Cucurbitaceae) in India- Savita Pandey, T.S. Rana and K.N. Nair- Rheedea Vol. 26 (2) 83-93 2016
DSCF0333.JPG