Identification of souring agent fruit from Konkan

Naraina Damle

Sep 16, 2021, 9:20:11 AM9/16/21
to efloraofindia
Hello Everyone,
I am asking after a long time. I have shifted fully from Delhi to Bangalore 2 years ago Just before the Pandemic.

This is a tree which I know from Goa.

It is a large tree with about a Pear size and approximate shaped fruit.
It is cut dried and used in kitchen as a souring agent in Goa and Konkan
We call it ओट or ओकांबा in Goa. Yesterday we god some dried  fruits from Hubli.
Could not get reference on Google Search in kitchen ingredients.

It is not Kokum

Here is the Photo.

The structure of the fruit resembles a JackFruit with a central core and seeds branching from it.

ot.png

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2021, 9:01:42 PM9/16/21
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, cadv...@gmail.com
Thanks, Dinesh ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Sep 16, 2021, 11:21:15 PM9/16/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you,
Here is a more clear photo. This is available in local markets where generally specific forest produce is sold

 I have seen the tree as a child but do not remember the leaves. Only falling fruits.
IMG-6895.jpg

Naraina Damle

Sep 17, 2021, 5:38:26 AM9/17/21
to efloraofindia
Eureka !!!

Starting from Google lens going via a Wrong commercial name as Kokum Phool I finally landed on a whole blog post appropriately written about this fruit with more pictures.

Here is the blog post http://ourfarmatchitrapur.blogspot.com/2018/03/vatambavatamba.html
Attaching two pictures from that Blogpost.

The plant that I am referring to is exactly same as  detailed in the blogpost.
However there is no clarity about Botanical name.

Two names came up but both seem wrong to me from the Photos on Internet.

Garcinia cambogia and  Artocarpus lacucha

The correct Konkani name is वटाम्बो , ओट and  ओकांबा  I wrote earlier seem to be local distortions

IMG_4629.JPG
Picture 451.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 17, 2021, 5:48:07 AM9/17/21
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Naraina Damle
Thanks, Naraina ji.
Images in the blog appear to be those of Artocarpus lacucha as per images and details herein.
And it is quite sour as I have tasted it.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Naraina Damle