Giving name in Kannada to Dicliptera foetida (Forssk.) Blatt.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 1, 2022, 11:36:53 AM7/1/22
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear Mahadeswara ji,
Please check whether we can give a name to Dicliptera foetida (Forssk.) Blatt. on lines of the English descriptive name "stinking foldwing" given by dear Tabish (Flowers of India) - the name is derived from the scientific name.

My attempt is loose translation of stinking foldwing = ಗಬ್ಬು ಪದರುಪಕ್ಷ gabbu padarupaksha
You may please suggest any better name OR validate my suggested name.

I have used Google Translate and Alar - an authoritative Kannada-English dictionary corpus created by V. Krishna
  • ಗಬ್ಬು gabbu ... noun ... 1) a strong, offensive smell or odour; stink; stench; 2) any dirty, stinking material.
  • ಪದರು padaru ... noun ... a folded part; a fold; a layer.
  • ಪಕ್ಷ pakṣa ... noun ... one of the movable feathered or membranous paired appendages by means of which a bird, bat or insect is able to fly; a wing.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Jul 3, 2022, 8:22:50 AM7/3/22
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Thank you very much Mahadeswara ji for this help with naming of Dicliptera foetida !!
I am going with the first one - ಗಬ್ಬು ನೆರಿಗೆರೆಕ್ಕೆ  gabbu nerigerekke
Thank you once again.
Regards.
Dinesh