... names of Justicia betonica in Kannada and Coorgi

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2011, 8:35:25 AM3/16/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Kannada-knowing friends,

Please help in providing valid words for names of Justicia betonica in Kannada and Coorgi.

An extract from a post in Kodaga Community web site:
"Madd Toppu" (Justicia betonica) as it is called in Kodava parlance ("Aati Soppu" in Kannada).
... http://www.kodagucommunity.com/2008/08/today-is-kakkada-padhinutt.html

Thus,
... would madd be:
1) ಮಡ್ಡ
2) ಮದ್ದ
3) yet different than the above

... would toppu be:
1) ಟೊಪ್ಪು
2) ತೊಪ್ಪು
3) yet different than the above

... would aati be:
1) ಆಟಿ
2) ಆತಿ
3) yet different than the above

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2011, 3:09:29 AM6/26/11
to efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, navend...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

raghu ananth

Jun 26, 2011, 12:22:33 PM6/26/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, navend...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke
Hi Dinesh,

Just made a small study on Justicia betonica in Kannada and Kodavas

- There is no such word aati in any of the Kannada dictionaries I refered.

- Kodavas use Kannada words while speaking in their language.   Based on that I think.
Madd means Medicinal ) (In Kannada its Madd, (Madh),  Maddu, )

- (Tokku ) Soppu (meaning Green leaves)

So, Madd Tokku translates to Medicinal green leaves. Not the exact species.
 Justicia Betonica is indeed a medicinal plant as per the link you have mentioned.

Here is a link, frlht  mentions Betonica justicia as Kaadu kanakambara. (Forest(Wild) crossandra.
More acceptable.

Thanks
Raghu

Jun 26, 2011, 12:33:10 PM6/26/11
to raghu ananth, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, navend...@gmail.com
Thank you very very much Raghu, for this explanation and for pointing to the better name in Kannada.
Will incorporate it into my notes.

Regards.
Dinesh.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 28, 2011, 12:15:56 PM6/28/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you very much Shivaprakash ji for this useful information.
Regards.
Dinesh

Jun 30, 2011, 3:45:11 AM6/30/11
to efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne
Shivaprakash ji .. with the information you cited in context of Justicia wynaadensis, would like to know if the spellings in native (Kannada) script used by the Kodaga, put here are correct.

ಮದ್ದೆ ಟೊಪ್ಪು madde toppu
ಆಟಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು aati soppu

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Jun 30, 2011, 9:49:37 AM6/30/11
to efloraofindia
... thank you very very very much Shivaprakash ji.
Regards.
Dinesh