Bush for ID Tiruvannamalai Tamil Nadu NAW-OCT-29

Nadeem Waqif

Oct 29, 2014, 11:41:05 AM10/29/14
to efloraofindia
Kindly identify this bush with edible fruit photographed an the Marudam Farm
School, Tiruvannamalei, Tamil Nadu in September 2014.

The bush may have been pruned to keep the fruit with reach of the children, height about 1.5 metres. Pink flowers about 15 mm wide. The one fruit photographed was about 15 mm in diameter, tasting somewhat like starfruit.

tiru bush pink flower edible berry - buds.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - flowers.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - fruit.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - habit.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - leaves.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - new leaves.JPG

vip...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2014, 10:41:10 PM10/29/14
to Nadeem Waqif, efloraofindia

Malpighia emarginata DC. [Malpighiaceae].

Best wishes, Viplav

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 30, 2014, 10:31:21 AM10/30/14
to vip...@gmail.com, Nadeem Waqif, efloraofindia
yes
barbados cherry

i had one in my balcony

and Dalia Set showed some here at indiatreepix in 2011 or early 2012
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

nawaqif

Nov 2, 2014, 1:56:39 AM11/2/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all.

I noticed the school children going over the bushes very thoroly every day and so i never got to see a red ripe fruit.

J.M. Garg

Nov 8, 2014, 11:46:34 PM11/8/14
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, vip...@gmail.com, Nadeem Waqif

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Malpighia emarginata DC. [Malpighiaceae].
Best wishes, Viplav
yes
barbados cherry
i had one in my balcony
and Dalia Set showed some here at indiatreepix in 2011 or early 2012

usha di

Thanks, Viplav ji,
I think it may be Malpighia glabra as Malpighia emarginata is not listed anywhere at  Malpighia

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

tiru bush pink flower edible berry - buds.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - flowers.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - fruit.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - habit.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - leaves.JPG
tiru bush pink flower edible berry - new leaves.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 9, 2014, 7:48:57 AM11/9/14
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif, vip...@gmail.com, Ushadi Micromini, M Swamy

Nov 10, 2014, 1:53:24 AM11/10/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif, Ushadi Micromini, M Swamy

There are some good pointers on "Malpighia glabra vs M. emarginata" in the online Herbarium of the University of Michigan. Please refer to the remarks in the "Uses" and the key to these two species at the bottom of this page.

Have also attached some relevant notes on M. emarginata extracted from the paper "Genetic Resources of Tropical and Sub-Tropical Fruits and Nuts" published by the IBPGR Secretariat in July 1986.

The obtuse-emarginate-apiculate leaves (as seen in the photographed plant) and the tangy fruit taste akin to Star Fruit (as described by Nadeem ji) are indicative of M. emarginata. The fruit of M. glabra is said to be "insipid" overall.

Best wishes, Viplav
Malpighia emarginata.pdf

Alka Khare

Nov 12, 2014, 10:40:39 PM11/12/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmg...@gmail.com, nadeem...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com
Viplav ji, I think, I have both, M. glabra and M. emarginata in my small balcony garden.
Am attaching pics of both for comparison.

Some differences observed are:

- Sometimes, leaves of M. glabra have fine hair like things on the surface (can be seen in pic Malpighia glabra_3), whereas those of M. emarginata are completely grabrous.
- Shape of leaves
- Fruits of the former are small as compared to the latter, though I have not tasted either.

Kindly validate

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare
Malpighia emarginata_1.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_2.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_3.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_4.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_5.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_6.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_7.jpg
Malpighia glabra_1.jpg
Malpighia glabra_2.jpg
Malpighia glabra_3.JPG
Malpighia glabra_4.JPG

r.thilakan makkiseril

Nov 13, 2014, 4:34:00 AM11/13/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everybody who joined the thread.I have posted some pics and raised.the similar question on 9th Sept.2014-Subject-Malpighia glabra or M.emarginata.Pls help240914RT-2. see attatched pics.
Happy to see that it is still live and hope Mr.Viplav Gangar's
inputs finds an answer.

r.thilakan.
seafood technologist.
Cochin.
abhiramiwed 013.jpg
abhiramiwed 012.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg

vip...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2014, 4:14:30 AM11/17/14
to Alka Khare, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Nadeem Waqif, Ushadi Micromini, Mahadeswara, r.thilakm...@gmail.com

Thanks Alka ji for sharing these images. Have been travelling and was out of touch with the eflora emails last week.

Both of these plants appear to be Malpighia emarginata DC. It exhibits substantial variation in the shape/size of the leaves and of the fruit considering the wide number of cultivars of this particular species. The leaf apex can also be acute.

Have attached a PDF illustrating some of the variations in the leaf & the fruit of M. emarginata. [Source: http://www.upov.int/edocs/mdocs/upov/en/tc_edc/2011/tg_acero_proj_3_e.pdf]

The young leaves of many Malpighia spp. (incl. M. emarginata) are often covered with bristly hairs but this is usually absent in M. glabra, named after its hairless, smooth, and glossy leaves.

The flower photos are not very clear but the style & stamen arrangement in your plants is apparently indicative of M. emarginata. Please see the attached line drawings from an early reference on this genus by J. Vivaldi (1980).

From what I've noticed, the cultivated specimens in Mumbai often passed off as M. glabra are usually that of M. emarginata.

Have also attached J. Vivaldi's monograph on Malpighia (1980) as well as a more recent key to these two species by W. R. Anderson (2007).

Best wishes, Viplav
M_emarginata_style_stamen arrangement.jpg
M_glabra_style_stamen arrangement.jpg
Malpighia key by WR Anderson_2007.jpg
Malpighia emarginata_variations.pdf
Malpighia_Jose Vivaldi_1980.pdf

Alka Khare

Nov 23, 2014, 10:02:46 PM11/23/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, alk...@gmail.com, jmg...@gmail.com, nadeem...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com, r.thilakm...@gmail.com
Thanks Viplav ji for the detailed explanation and the info...

I now take it that both the specimens posted by me are M. emarginata.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare