A flowering tree for ID

Tabish Qureshi

Apr 14, 2009, 6:05:40 AM4/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A tree found flowering in April, on the Sikkim-Bagdogra highway.
Leaves are elliptic-oblong. The picture appears to give a misleading
impression of the leaves having palmately arranged leaflets. To me,
the leaves look like simple elliptic leaves.
Any guesses will be welcome
Cheers!
- Tabish
p568.jpg
p571.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Apr 14, 2009, 10:16:54 AM4/14/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish Qureshi
Looks like Anacardiaceae of some sort.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Navendu

Apr 15, 2009, 1:13:28 PM4/15/09
to indiantreepix
I think the two pictures belong to two different plants. The flowering
branch and flowers remind me of Burseraceae, perhaps Garuga pinnata
cos the flowers are identical.

The picture of the leaves is some scandent shrub belonging to either
Anonaceae or Rhamnaceae

navendu

Dinesh Valke

Apr 15, 2009, 1:41:50 PM4/15/09
to Navendu, indiantreepix
... Navendu ji's explanation sort of made the first picture clearer; I can see the flowers of Garuga pinnata.
Regards.

Tabish

Apr 16, 2009, 6:25:33 AM4/16/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks Navendu! Thats it! Garuga pinnata. I will check out the leaves
in the second picture again. Had got the taxi stopped on the highway
to take the picture - so, can't be sure that there is no mix up.
Cheers!
- Tabish