Etymology ::: Rhamphicarpa

Dinesh Valke

Sep 24, 2010, 8:29:55 AM9/24/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

What would "Rhamphi" mean in context of the genus name, Rhamphicarpa ?

Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Sep 24, 2010, 8:35:46 AM9/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Ramphos means 'beak'. Karpos means 'fruit'. The capsule is beaked - from the dictionary of generic names by Dr. Almeida.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Sep 24, 2010, 8:45:00 AM9/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh--

 It's not a term with which I'm familiar. Google/Wikipedia searches didn't help much. Possibly having to do with its hemiparasitic nature?

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 24, 2010, 8:45:52 AM9/24/10
to shubhada nikharge, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Excellent! Problem solved....

Regards--
Ken.