Fruits & Vegetables Week: RVS-17

Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:51:06 PM1/4/11
to indiatreepix
Our Indian Sacred Lotus! Rootstock and stolon (stem) are used as vegetable. Seeds are eaten.
Note: I request members to view my earlier postings labled as "Flora of Manipur" for a variety of wild edibles and vegetables from Manipur, Northeast India.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

nelumbo nucifera-3.JPG
nelumbo nucifera-4.JPG
nelumbo nucifera-6.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2011, 11:39:20 AM1/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
NATIVE, WILD, CULTIVATED :: Nelumbonaceae (lotus family) » Nelumbo nucifera
Synonyms: Nelumbium speciosum, Nelumbo speciosa, Nymphaea nelumbo

nee-LUM-bo or nay-LUM-bo -- Latinized form of aboriginal name
noo-SIFF-er-uh -- nut-bearing

commonly known as: Indian lotus, lotus, oriental lotus, sacred lotus • Assamese: পদম padam • Bengali: কমল komol • Gujarati: motunkamal • Hindi: कमल kamal, कन्वल kanwal • Kannada: ತಾವರೆ tavare • Malayalam: താമര tamara • Manipuri: থম্বাল thambal • Marathi: कमळ kamal • Oriya: ପଦମ padam • Sanskrit: अम्बुज ambuj, कमल kamala, पद्म padma, पंकज pankaja, सरसिज sarsija, शारदा sharada • Tamil: அம்பல் ambal, தாமரை tamarai • Telugu: తామర tamara • Urdu: نیلوفر nilufer

Native to: south-east Asia

Edible use:
... flowers, seeds, young leaves, and roots (rhizomes) are all edible

Symbolic status:
... National Flower of India
... National Flower of Vietnam

Religious status:
... divine symbol ... most Buddhist, Chinese, Hindu, Japanese, and other Asian deities are depicted as seated on a lotus flower

2120052432_26ded67719_b.jpg
2119269583_6b0fcee8e3_b.jpg
2119271245_2bffaf7c94_b.jpg

Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2011, 12:53:27 PM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thank you very much for pointing it out Vijayasankar ji ... it was not inadvertent however !!
Mistook it for lotus ... believing the gardener at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
He had shown me some sort of seed pod and thermacole like seeds floating in the water-bed ... thus he had convinced me that it is not the water lily that I was believing !!

Thank you once again.
Regards.