Portulaca grandiflora

Skip to the first unread message

mani nair

17-Oct-2011, 3:44:56 am17/10/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Seen at a Plants exhibition.  Commonly called  "Office Time"

Place : Byculla, Mumbai
Date  :  19.02.11
Habitat : Cultivated

Regards,

Mani Nair

officetime.jpg

Neha Singh

17-Oct-2011, 5:12:11 am17/10/11
to efloraofindia
Beautiful !
Mani Sir, we call it 9 O' Clock.

mani nair

17-Oct-2011, 5:30:21 am17/10/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Neha ji.  Yes it is also called 9 O'Clock flower as the flower buds opens during that time.

Regards,

Mani Nair

Madhuri Raut

17-Oct-2011, 5:38:26 am17/10/11
to mani nair, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
lovely colors Mani ji I have yet to see a yellow one in real
Regards
Bhagyashri

mani nair

17-Oct-2011, 6:09:34 am17/10/11
to Madhuri Raut, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Bhagyashri ji for the appreciation.
Regards,
Mani Nair

Gurcharan Singh

17-Oct-2011, 7:28:25 am17/10/11
to mani nair, Madhuri Raut, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Mani ji
It would be interesting to know the source of your information. Portulaca grandiflora is generally known as eleven-o'clock flower as per GRIN information.  In Vietnam, it is called "Hoa mười giờ" meaning "Ten o'clock flower", because the flower is usually in full bloom at 10 o'clock in the morning (as per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_grandifloraMost species of Portulaca generally flower and stay open till noon, remain closed before and after that or on a cloudy day.
    Once I remember having disagreement on the colour of flower colour, my colleague saying it has pink flowers whereas I knew it with yellow flowers. Next morning we plucked the plants at 8.30 a m when all were in buds pink in colour, brought them to College, and put it in beaker with water on a window with sunlight and asked the lab assistant to report when it comes to flower. He came running to me to me after some time to report it has just flowered. I saw my watch, it was 11 a m, and I saw the flowers they were all yellow......It was Portalaca quadrifida.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

17-Oct-2011, 7:30:20 am17/10/11
to mani nair, Madhuri Raut, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
And yes, I forgot to mention, new cultivars of Portulaca grandiflora have been developed that remain open for most of the day.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

17-Oct-2011, 7:39:57 am17/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji for this interesting information that in various places the timing is different for its opening.  I like this plant very much as the flowers are very beautiful and the cultivation of it is also very easy if  it gets lots of sunlight.  It can be grown in a hanging basket also.

Regards,

Mani.

Ushadi micromini

18-Oct-2011, 7:49:22 am18/10/11
to efloraofindia
we called it 4 o'clock flower... that's when they went to sleep...
promptly...

we has a very long conversation about potrulaca grandiflora
before:....
its at this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/c4d76860179ddaf9/d29642ada179dd6c?lnk=gst&q=portulaca+usha#d29642ada179dd6c

Usha di

mani nair

18-Oct-2011, 8:29:18 am18/10/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha ji, in our area 4'0 clock flower is  Mirabilis jalapa.  See how the name changes in different places !!

Regards,

Mani.

Reply to all
Reply to the author