kadmab(neolamarkia cadamba)

vinod kumar gupta

Jul 12, 2008, 12:47:11 PM7/12/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Taken a dehradun on 30.6.8

Vinod

kadamb_neolamarkia cadamba_dehradun_916_300608.jpg
kadamb_neolamarkia cadamba_dehradun_919_300608.jpg

satish phadke

Jul 13, 2008, 2:52:44 AM7/13/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful picture agin.
It is nicely showing opposite leaves as well as the inflorescence characteristic of Rubiaceae family

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM, vinod kumar gupta <vkgupt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Taken a dehradun on 30.6.8

Vinod

--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

J.M. Garg

Jul 13, 2008, 3:28:51 AM7/13/08
to satish phadke, vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
From Indiantreepix Database:
Neolamarckia cadamba (Syn. Anthocephalus cadamba)  Rubiaceae  Kadamb, Kadam, Common Bur-flower tree or Wild cinchona I have records of its flowering on 14/7/07 in Kolkata. Trees of Delhi- flowers for a short duration late in the rains, mostly Aug.-Sept.  Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta- flowers with the onset of rainy season (June-July) & continues to flower up to the end of the rains (Sept.-Oct.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamarckia_cadamba http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1bfbac316648482a 2 pics of Kadamb Flowers - indiantreepix | Google Groups

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

malyada

Jul 16, 2008, 2:20:35 AM7/16/08
to indiantreepix
Hi Vinod Ji,

I have seen the same trees in greater noida as well. I have one q

On Jul 13, 12:28 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From Indiantreepix Database:
> *Neolamarckia cadamba (Syn. Anthocephalus cadamba) * *Rubiaceae
> * *Kadamb,
> Kadam, Common Bur-flower tree or Wild cinchona* I have records of its
> flowering on 14/7/07 in Kolkata. Trees of Delhi- flowers for a short
> duration late in the rains, mostly Aug.-Sept. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of
> Calcutta- flowers with the onset of rainy season (June-July) & continues to
> flower up to the end of the rains (Sept.-Oct.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamarckia_cadambahttp://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1...
> 2
> pics of Kadamb Flowers - indiantreepix | Google
> Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1...>
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Wonderful picture agin.
> > It is nicely showing opposite leaves as well as the inflorescence
> > characteristic of Rubiaceae family
>
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM, vinod kumar gupta <
> > vkgupta_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Taken a dehradun on 30.6.8
>
> >> Vinod
>
> > --
> > SATISFIEDhttp://satishphadke.blogspot.com/
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

malyada

Jul 16, 2008, 2:25:25 AM7/16/08
to indiantreepix
Hi Vinod Ji,

I have seen the same trees in greater noida, and was suspecting they
were 'Kadamba' but for one fact that these flowers do not smell. Did
the flowers in the pictures you took smell?
Kadamba trees can be smelt from as far as a km when they are in full
bloom. They have a heady wonderful fragrance and as Garg Ji has
pointed out in an earlier post, thought to be the favourite of Lord
Krishna. Hence they are found in abundance at Vrindaban and Mathura.
Also, the kadamba trees i have seen have round light green leaves,
which start red when they are young. The flowers are smaller, lighter
yellow in colour as compared to the ones you have posted, and their
seeds are black and smaller.
I have a few pictures taken at Vrindaban, I somehow do not have an
option to attach photos while replying to a post, so will have to post
a new message.

Please confirm if these are two different species?

thanks,
malyada

On Jul 13, 12:28 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From Indiantreepix Database:
> *Neolamarckia cadamba (Syn. Anthocephalus cadamba) * *Rubiaceae
> * *Kadamb,
> Kadam, Common Bur-flower tree or Wild cinchona* I have records of its
> flowering on 14/7/07 in Kolkata. Trees of Delhi- flowers for a short
> duration late in the rains, mostly Aug.-Sept. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of
> Calcutta- flowers with the onset of rainy season (June-July) & continues to
> flower up to the end of the rains (Sept.-Oct.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamarckia_cadambahttp://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1...
> 2
> pics of Kadamb Flowers - indiantreepix | Google
> Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/1...>
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Wonderful picture agin.
> > It is nicely showing opposite leaves as well as the inflorescence
> > characteristic of Rubiaceae family
>
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM, vinod kumar gupta <
> > vkgupta_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Taken a dehradun on 30.6.8
>
> >> Vinod
>
> > --
> > SATISFIEDhttp://satishphadke.blogspot.com/
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2008, 2:37:27 AM7/16/08
to malyada, indiantreepix
Hi, Malyada ji,
I think you are talking of the following tree, which is also called Kadamd & found & related to the folk-lores of Lord Krishna in the Vrindavan area.
Mitragyna parviflora (syn. Stephegyne parvifolia) Rubiaceae Kaim/ Kadamb/ Kallam/ Phaldu/ Mundi    Trees of Delhi- Flowers mid May or June, continuing into the rains. EPOW Ecology Picture of the Week --  Kalam: An Old-Growth Tree of India Kaim/ Kadamb/ Kallam/Phaldu/ Mundi (Mitragyna parviflora) - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://sliceoftheday.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/kaim-mitragyna-parvifolia/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 16, 2008, 4:49:55 AM7/16/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pradeep Krishan in his book 'Trees of Delhi' has made an interesting
point about Kadamba. He states that the real Kadamba associated with
Krishna is the Kaim (Mytrogyna parviflora) which is native to dry
climate of Vrindaban, whereas Kadamb (Neolamarckia cadamba) is native
to moist forests. Yours of course is Kadamb. There was earlier a
message from some gentleman from Vrindavan who has mentioned Kadamba.
It would be interesting to find out whether they are Kadamb or Kaim.
P.S. This I wrote before I saw malyada having the same doubt. He has
also mentioned that the Kadamb of vrindavan has highly frogrant
floweers. Pradeep in his book has mentioned that Kadamba flowers are
fragrant, whereas the same has not been mention for Kaim. Now it is my
turn to be confused. Mayada, please let us know whether this tree at
Vrindavan is Kadamba or Kaim. BNHS expert says that Banks of Yamuna
would be quite OK for Kadamba.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM, vinod kumar gupta

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2008, 5:06:24 AM7/16/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com
The tree that I photographed is Kaim, now that Garg Ji has cleared my doubt. Here is the link I posted:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/c635605788c88be6?hl=en

The one that Vinod has posted is definitely Kadamba, I just wanted to be sure whether they smell. This is because I saw them flowering in G noida 3-4 weeks back, and they didnt smell at all. If they dont smell, then them being called 'Kadamba' is a little strange isnt it? I thought Kadamba were famous for their smell. One reason they didnt smell might be that they dont really belong to a dry region like g noida. I have seen certain trees to change some of their basic characteristics when grown outside their real environment. Now Vinod Ji needs to confirm as he took the photo in a moist place like Dehradun.

Here's another link from the net which has good photographs of Neolamarckia cadamba:
http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1287/869607881_97fc25598c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/869607881/&h=375&w=500&sz=193&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=p2UtnwhZt5k0OM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DStephegyne%2Bparvifolia%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX

and for Mitragyna parvifolia:

http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1287/869607881_97fc25598c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/869607881/&h=375&w=500&sz=193&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=p2UtnwhZt5k0OM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DStephegyne%2Bparvifolia%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX

I will update my post with the real name now.
Thanks for all the replies, at least one doubt is I guess clear:)

malyada..

vinod kumar gupta

Jul 17, 2008, 11:27:40 AM7/17/08
to mal...@gmail.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Malyada and Anand

I had taken the shots of kadamb at hebbal lake and dehradun, while shot of kaim(mitragyna Parviflora) was taken near my residence(surajmal vihar)  (all attached)

The two species are more easily differentiable by the character of their leaves(the flowers grossly are similar)

I believe in the climate of delhi,both speciec are seen(though I have yet to see a kadamb),while in relativly moist climate(as in dehradun and bangalore)Kim is more unlikely to be found

I am however liable to correction by experts

Sorry  for delay in reply as my broaadband was misbehaving

Vinod
kadamb_neolamarckia cadamba_hebbal lake_7888_26.8.7.jpg
kadamb_neolamarkia cadamba_dehradun_919_300608.jpg
kaim_Mitragyna parviflora_delhi_653_250608.jpg
kaim_Mitragyna parviflora_delhi_661_250608.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 17, 2008, 12:14:12 PM7/17/08
to vinod kumar gupta, mal...@gmail.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have a few big trees close to my house in Kolkata & I have seen this tree (Neolamarckia cadamba)
& photographed its flowers but I never felt the fragrance associated with it. May be they are fragrant but the smell possibly does not spread far away.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 17, 2008, 5:03:02 PM7/17/08
to J.M. Garg, vinod kumar gupta, mal...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
The climate of Kolkata will be congenial to Kadamba. Mayada writes
that Kadamba in Vrindavan is very fragrant. so that should be Kaim.
akbhatt

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 6, 2008, 1:59:10 AM10/6/08
to unc...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
> For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road