Plant for ID SMP 04/03/2010 Large shrub

Satish Phadke

Mar 5, 2010, 10:02:57 AM3/5/10
to indiantreepix Indian
Attaching pictures of a large shrub or a small tree.For ID. To me appears to be from Solanaceae.
No prickles or thorns

Date/Time-

 4th March 2010. 2pm

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

 Pune outskirts

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

 wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

 Shrub

Height/Length-

 8-10 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 simple oval. ?tomentose

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

 Cymes

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

 Not present

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

 globose with persistent calyx

DSCN5188s.jpg
DSCN5190s.jpg
DSCN5187s.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 5, 2010, 10:26:17 AM3/5/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
DEAR ALL ,
I HOPE THE PLANT IS

Solanum mauritianum - Wild Tobacco

Family Solanaceae

Shrub to 4m, twigs stellate hairy, spines absent.

Leaves simple, 125-330 x 45-110mm, both sides densely clothed in stellate hairs, petioles 10-55 mm long, stipules leaf like up to 25 mm long.

Inflorescence an axillary or terminal panicule.

Flower diameter 15-25 mm, petals 5 or 6 purple or blue, calyx green, any month.

Fruit a berry, green, yellow or brownish, 12-18 x 12-18 mm, clothed in stellate hairs, calyx clothed in stellate hairs, seeds numerous, cream or brown, diameter about 2 mm any month.

REGARDS

TANAY

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 6, 2010, 11:24:22 PM3/6/10
to efloraofindia
This is S. torvum. Tall shrub or a small tree, branches unarmed,
leaves 10-20 cm, flowers in terminal corymbs, berries globose, yellow
on maturity. Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 5, 8:02 pm, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attaching pictures of a large shrub or a small tree.For ID. To me appears to
> be from Solanaceae.
> No prickles or thorns
>

>   *Date/Time-*
>
> * *
>
> * 4th March 2010. 2pm
> *
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *
>
> * *
>
> * Pune outskirts
> *
>
> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> * *
>
> * wild*
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *
>
> * *
>
> * Shrub*
>
> *Height/Length- *
>
> * *
>
> * 8-10 feet
> *
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- *
>
> * *
>
> * simple oval. ?tomentose
> *
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size- *
>
> * *
>
> * Cymes*
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> * *
>
> * Not present
> *
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-*
>
> * *
>
> * globose with persistent calyx
> *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-*
>
> * *
>
>  DSCN5188s.jpg
> 117KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN5190s.jpg
> 152KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN5187s.jpg
> 92KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 6, 2010, 11:50:31 PM3/6/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Plants in S. torvum according to both Eflora of China and Pakistan are prickly:

I think this plant is Solanum erianthum (Syn; S. verbascifolium auct.):

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

Mar 6, 2010, 11:55:12 PM3/6/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Satish Phadke ji,
Please check up once again. I do not think this is Solanum Torvum. For reference, I am providing the link.
http://www.keralaayurvedics.com/leaves-and-vegetables/chunda-solanum-torvum-vegetables-of-kerala.html
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Yazdy Palia

Mar 7, 2010, 12:03:59 AM3/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Friends,
I think Dr. Gurcharan Singh is correct. Please go through the link
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=+Solanum+erianthum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___IN364
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 9, 2010, 7:19:49 PM3/9/10
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I too agree with Gurcharan ji's id i.e. Solanum erianthum. And it is not S. torvum for sure.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.