Cotton Tree for ID

Bhalchandra Bhawe

May 16, 2009, 6:55:41 AM5/16/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Attaching pics of a cotton tree taken at Pune.

Does look like a normal white silk cotton or red silk cotton.

Requesting id of the same.

Regards,
Bhalchandra Bhave
CottonFullTree.jpg
CottonLeadandBark.jpg
CottonPods1.jpg

Barry Stock

May 16, 2009, 8:04:36 AM5/16/09
to Bhalchandra Bhawe, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhalchandra

This is a Cochlospermum spp., most likely C. religiosum. The way the
seed capsule opens, "two-toned", is distinctive to the genus.

-bs
> <CottonFullTree.jpg><CottonLeadandBark.jpg><CottonPods1.jpg>

Dinesh Valke

May 16, 2009, 8:23:19 AM5/16/09
to Barry Stock, Bhalchandra Bhawe, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Barry.
Regards.

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

May 16, 2009, 1:00:46 PM5/16/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Im too posting a couple of pics for Id. Birds of different types are
seen perching on the branches of this tree. Both flowers and fruits
attract variety of birds.Im keen to verify whether it is a cotton tree
or not.

Thanks - Purnima
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG

sibdas

May 16, 2009, 1:18:51 PM5/16/09
to indiantreepix
It is a cotton wood tree, but which one difficult to say from the pics.
(Wild assumption - Simul) . Easier to identify the bird- blue throated
barbet- Megalaima asiatica)

On May 16, 10:00 pm, purnima.du...@priyaentertainments.com wrote:
> Im too posting a couple of pics for Id. Birds of different types are
> seen perching on the branches of this tree. Both flowers and fruits
> attract variety of birds.Im keen to verify whether it is a cotton tree
> or not.
>
> Thanks - Purnima
>
> Quoting Bhalchandra Bhawe <bdbh...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > Attaching pics of a cotton tree taken at Pune.
>
> > Does look like a normal white silk cotton or red silk cotton.
>
> > Requesting id of the same.
>
> > Regards,
> > Bhalchandra Bhave
>

>  IMG_2355.JPG
> 1958KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_2362.JPG
> 1475KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Bhalchandra Bhawe

May 17, 2009, 8:00:34 AM5/17/09
to Barry Stock, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for ID help.
Regards,
Bhalchandra Bhawe

satish phadke

May 17, 2009, 12:09:35 PM5/17/09
to Bhalchandra Bhawe, indian...@googlegroups.com
This is Cochlospermum religiosum (Son sawar in Marathi) These trees are common on hills around Pune ...........Vetal Tekdi, Katraj, etc. Though it is called Son Sawar or yellow silk cotton tree its family is different. Cochlospermaceae. The flowers are beautiful golden yellow seen in Dec to Feb.
Satish

2009/5/16 Bhalchandra Bhawe <bdb...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

J.M. Garg

Jun 16, 2009, 12:53:17 PM6/16/09
to purnim...@priyaentertainments.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Purnima ji,
It's Ceiba pentandra (Kapok).
See more details from Indiantreepix Database:
Ceiba pentandra  Bombacaceae Kapok, True/Singapore Kapok, Hattian, Safed Semal or Katan,Ceiba, White Silk-Cotton Tree, Moreh Tera,  Pannimaram, Tellaburaga, Samali, Dudi, Kutashalmali, Shwet Simul  started flowering in since Jan'08- some last flowers still coming up on 6/4/08- Kolkata; Seen flowering in Dec. and Jan. & over now (26/2/08) in Pune; Kolkata- March'09; Sh. Pradip Krishen in his Trees of Delhi says that it flowers in March & lasts till first half of April. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_pentandra Kapok (Safed Semal/ White cotton silk)- Ceiba pentandra - indiantreepix | Google Groups White Semal ??? - indiantreepix | Google Groups Is this silk cotton - indiantreepix | Google Groups Is this Swet Simul ? - indiantreepix | Google Groups ID Request - from Kolkata - indiantreepix | Google Groups long fruit(Samir Takaochi) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Kapok Tree http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Ceibapentandra&m=tags the other silk cotton - Kapok - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

Jun 17, 2009, 5:06:05 AM6/17/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Garg ji for the wonderful support you give to all the
beginners like me.I had Botany in college many many decades ago. So I
really need to work hard to catch up as Im in the forests very
frequently for my conservation work.

I dont think I have seen Kapok seeds within fibres as was shown in the
picture.The pods are very prominent and I need to keep a watch because
they are still intact. The flowers too look very attractive and I
found Sun-birds love them.

You are like a walking encyclopaedia and so is Dr.Bhatt.

Thank you all for motivating us.
With best regards,
Purnima