Yellow Silk Cotton flowering

Neil Soares

Jan 30, 2011, 12:16:27 PM1/30/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Photographed at my farm at Shahapur today. Had also posted photographs of this last year. Please check the archives of this group for them.
                         Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Yellow Silk Cotton [Cochlospermom religiosum] 1.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton [Cochlospermom religiosum] 2.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton [Cochlospermom religiosum] 3.jpg
Yellow Silk Cotton [Cochlospermom religiosum] 4.jpg
Ashy Drongo on Yellow Silk Cotton.jpg

Pravin Kawale

Jan 31, 2011, 8:35:50 AM1/31/11
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Same from Chaul,Alibag
on 30Jan,2011
Thanks

--
Pravin
Yellow silk cotton (1).JPG

tanay bose

Jan 31, 2011, 9:02:14 AM1/31/11
to Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
thanks Pravin ji the closeups are exceptional
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Satish Phadke

Jan 31, 2011, 9:25:15 AM1/31/11
to Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Pravin's species is not Cochlospermum but Yellow coloured Bombax ceiba from family Bombacaceae. Excellent and unusual.
Dr Phadke

Neil Soares

Jan 31, 2011, 11:43:21 AM1/31/11
to Pravin Kawale, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pravin,
 Agree with Dr.Phadke. Your photographs are of a yellow-flowered variety of Bombax ceiba. Also Cochlospermum religiosum [Yellow Silk Cotton] is an unarmed tree, where prickles are seen on the stem and branches of the tree in your photographs.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

promila chaturvedi

Feb 7, 2011, 8:14:35 AM2/7/11
to Satish Phadke, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I also agree with Dr. Phadke. Pravin Ji's specimen is Ceiba pentandra,
Promila

tanay bose

Feb 7, 2011, 9:08:35 AM2/7/11
to promila chaturvedi, Satish Phadke, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nice one
Tanay

Neil Soares

Feb 7, 2011, 11:48:42 AM2/7/11
to Satish Phadke, promila chaturvedi, Pravin Kawale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 There seems to be some confusion here....

-Pravin's tree is a yellow-flower variety of the Red Silk Cotton tree [Bombax ceiba].

-The White Silk Cotton tree [Ceiba pentandra] or Kapok tree is an exotic, native to the Andamans, Malayasia and tropical America.

-The Yellow Silk Cotton tree [Cochlospermum religiosum] is featured here.

                                 Regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Feb 7, 2011, 11:57:20 AM2/7/11
to Satish Phadke, promila chaturvedi, Pravin Kawale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 My apologies. As I had stated earlier Pravin's tree is a yellow-flower variety of Bombax ceiba.
                     Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Feb 7, 2011, 12:00:16 PM2/7/11
to Satish Phadke, promila chaturvedi, Pravin Kawale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Apologies again. Was in a hurry. As I had stated earlier Pravin's tree is a yellow-flower variety of Bombax insigne.