Plant for ID 16Dec2012 SMP1

Satish Phadke

Dec 28, 2012, 10:20:29 AM12/28/12
to indiantreepix
A large tree in Shedani Devrai Mulshi.Near Pune. 16Dec 2012
Large drooping branches with opposite leaves. Racemes about 1 foot. Individual buds 3-5mm. No open flowers observed
Dr Satish Phadke
IMG_1577s.jpg
IMG_1578s.jpg
_MG_0670s.jpg
_MG_0672s.jpg

Satish Phadke

Dec 29, 2012, 4:59:31 AM12/29/12
to indiantreepix

Can it be Olea dioica?

Giby Kuriakose

Dec 29, 2012, 10:31:33 AM12/29/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
The first two pictures are Olea dioica and the last two pictures are of a different species

Regards
Giby

GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Assistant Professor
PG and Research Department of Botany
Sacred Heart College
Thevara
Kochi- 682 013
Kerala, India
Phone - +914844044436 (office) +919947109987 (Mobile)

Satish Phadke

Dec 29, 2012, 10:35:27 PM12/29/12
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Thanks Giby ji
I also thought so.
Actually I remember I had collected this specimen from the same tree for close up photography later which I did on reaching home late in the night. Somehow it appears different here(Last 2 photographs). At least I am happy to know the tree whch I was trying to identify for a long time.
Any idea about the leaf edges ..do they have to be serrate??

Dr Satish Phadke

Giby Kuriakose

Dec 29, 2012, 11:06:58 PM12/29/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
It is not necessarily be serrate always. I have seen both serrated and non-serrated leaves on the same individual.
But serrated leaves is a character of this species. In younger plants the leaves are always serrated.
The last two pictures are surely of a different species.
I am not getting any clue.
Do you have a picture to show the under surface of leaf.

Regards
Giby

Giby Kuriakose

Dec 29, 2012, 11:08:56 PM12/29/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Do you remember whether the second set of pictures are of a liana (woody climber)?

Regards
Giby

Satish Phadke

Dec 30, 2012, 10:51:36 AM12/30/12
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix

Yes. It is the area with many lianas. You may be on the right track. Waiting for the lead....

Giby Kuriakose

Dec 30, 2012, 10:56:19 AM12/30/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Then I have a wild guess that this could be a Rhamnacean such as species of Ventilago!

Regards
Giby

Giby Kuriakose

Dec 30, 2012, 11:16:09 AM12/30/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke

Satish Phadke

Dec 30, 2012, 12:13:45 PM12/30/12
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Thanks for the inputs.

Dr Satish Phadke