Bacopa munnieri - Sambrani Tree

raghu ananth

Mar 30, 2010, 12:53:57 AM3/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Regional name (Telugu):  Sambrani Chettu (Sambrani Tree)
Bacopa munnieri (?)

Talakona, Eastern ghats, Andhra Pradesh.
28th Mar 2010,

Regards
Raghu

DSC_0827a.jpg
DSC_0825a.jpg
DSC_0826b.jpg
DSC_0828.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 30, 2010, 1:04:16 AM3/30/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu Ji,
As far as I know Bacopa sp is a genus of flowering plant belonging to the family Schrophulariaceae. Please check and let me know if I am wrong.  I have heard about a species called Bacopa monniera (Syn: B monnieri)  from this family is sommonly called "Bhrami" used as a brain rejuvinant in herbal medicines.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2010, 1:05:40 AM3/30/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
... surely a case of mistaken identity.
Bacopa monnieri is a small herb, medicinally highly valued.

As per the common name sambrani chettu, the posted tree, could be Boswellia serrata, which yields resin -- of commercial importance.

Regards.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Muthu Karthick

Mar 30, 2010, 6:52:38 AM3/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
This tree is Boswellia serrata Roxb. ex Coleb. of Burseraceae.

Tamil names: Kungiliyam, Sambarani, Kundhirikam, Vellai kundhirikam, Vaalugam
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Pankaj Oudhia