Hooghly - Cyperus pilosus Vahl ?

surajit koley

Sep 25, 2013, 1:57:12 PM9/25/13
to efloraofindia
I have found this sedge today, in a flooded paddy field.

About 3 ft tall and looks similar to what I have identified/suggested as C. digitatus Roxb. But this looks more closer to Satyendra Ji's photographs.

A closer look at the inflorescence of this one and the one i marked as C. digitatus Roxb. gives some differences. The inflorescence here is not exactly digitate (P1060510.jpg & P1060510b.jpg). In addition, the spikes are lax, shorter. One can even see purplish colour in some of the glumes (P1060510b.jpg).

I am sorry i could not get closer to this sedge so that i could record macro of spikelets.

Can it be Cyperus pilosus Vahl (should be found all over India)?

Thank you

Regards

P1060506.jpg
P1060507.jpg
P1060508.jpg
P1060509.jpg
P1060510.jpg
P1060510b.jpg
P1060511.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 3, 2013, 12:53:36 AM10/3/13
to efloraofindia, tanveer khan, Paramjit Channa, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2165 members & 1,64,000 messages on 31/8/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).
P1060506.jpg
P1060507.jpg
P1060508.jpg
P1060509.jpg
P1060510.jpg
P1060510b.jpg
P1060511.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 4, 2013, 1:20:08 AM10/4/13
to efloraofindia, tanveer khan, Paramjit Channa, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, surajit koley
A reply from Nirbhay ji:
"Yes, this is Cyperus pilosus Vahl"

surajit koley

Oct 4, 2013, 11:55:12 AM10/4/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, nirbh...@rediffmail.com
Thank you Garg Sir. I am very thankful to Nirbhay Ji as well.

Regards,

surajit