PLANT FOR ID 34 SMP 26 FEB 2009

satish phadke

Feb 26, 2009, 12:28:32 PM2/26/09
to indiantreepix Indian
And what this could be? Another plant which looks like Maytenus senegalensis (Henkal) with red petiole but flowers totally different.
Satish

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
SNV30214 copy.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2009, 12:38:02 PM2/26/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian

Flacourtia indica
batoka plum, governor’s plum, ... Madagascar plum, Mauritius plum, Rhodesia plum
in Marathi: अठरुन athrun, तांबूट tambut

Regards.

satish phadke

Feb 27, 2009, 11:42:08 AM2/27/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Thanks Dinesh; Ketki/Manasi for the information.
I have seen both Maytenus and Flaucortia on Vetal Tekdi Pune

2009/2/26 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2009, 12:14:23 AM3/10/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Reply from Oilkos in a different thread:
"ID 34 SMP 26 Feb 09 looks more of Flacourtia sp. Most common is F. Montana - commonly known as Tambat."

Dinesh Valke

Mar 10, 2009, 12:51:39 AM3/10/09
to J.M. Garg, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
... not familiar with specific differences between the two species F. indica and F. montana.
At Tungareshwar WLS, the locals call the plants found there by the name athrun (Marathi: अठरुन) as such which is more appropriate to F. indica .. tambut (Marathi: तांबूट  OR तांबट) seems to me, a generic name for Flacourtia species.

Hello OIKOS ... are there any simple comparisons / clear differences among the two ?

Regards.