i.d. needed

sibdas ghosh

Mar 25, 2009, 11:17:44 AM3/25/09
to indiantreepix
Road side plant, Santiniketan, March 17, 2009
I.d. requested
100_1033.JPG
100_1034.JPG

Tabish

Mar 25, 2009, 1:59:24 PM3/25/09
to indiantreepix
Looks like White Crossberry (Grewia tenax), a cousin of the well known
Phalsa
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/White%20Crossberry.html
- Tabish

On Mar 25, 8:17 pm, sibdas ghosh <sibdasgh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Road side plant, Santiniketan, March 17, 2009
> I.d. requested
>
>  100_1033.JPG
> 107KViewDownload
>
>  100_1034.JPG
> 63KViewDownload

Nayan Singh

Mar 26, 2009, 11:52:53 PM3/26/09
to indiantreepix
I think I have not copy it to indiantreepix, if already sent, sory for inconvenience

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Road side plant, Santiniketan, March 17, 2009
I.d. requested

Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Get before others grab.

Check out the all-new face of Yahoo! India. Click here.

satish phadke

Mar 27, 2009, 2:02:38 AM3/27/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Great find from Grewia family. I have not seen it here around Pune yet.
Satish

 Road side plant, Santiniketan, March 17, 2009
I.d. requested

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2009, 2:13:09 AM3/27/09
to satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Satish ji, you may have overseen Nayan ji's post ... he wrote: Alangium salvifolium from Alangiaceae

Regards.

satish phadke

Mar 27, 2009, 2:40:51 AM3/27/09
to Dinesh Valke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
But I believe this to be Grewia tenax as supported by Tabish with links from Flowers of India.
You have any other opinion?
Satish.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2009, 3:21:10 AM3/27/09
to satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
... I have not seen this plant Alangium salvifolium also spelt A. salviifolium, (one of its synonym is Grewia salviifolia !! -- eFlora - Flora of China) ... Sage Leaved Alangium
At http://iscmumbai.maharashtra.gov.in/floristic%20survey.html ... this web page can take several minutes to download ;) , it is illustrated at 421.

In Hindi / Marathi it is known as ankol.

Tabish ji has only supposed it to be G. tenax; FOI has A. salviifolium at http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sage%20Leaved%20Alangium.html

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2009, 3:52:37 AM3/27/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
I think Nayan ji stated "I think I have not copy it to indiantreepix, if already sent, sorry for inconvenience" after seeing Tabish ji's reply, as he has possibly wrongly identified it & replied to Sibdas ji as "Alangium salvifolium from Alangiaceae" earlier.

Thus the final Id remains as G. tenax.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2009, 4:08:22 AM3/27/09
to J.M. Garg, satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
OK, Garg ji.
Regards.

"We often ignore the beauty around us"

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2009, 4:21:12 AM3/27/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Hi, Dinesh ji & others,
My understanding is not correct.

Here is Nayan ji's reply:
"Dear Garg ji,
Actually I wanted to inform the indiantreepix about the id, so i informe the goup without seeing Tabish ji's reply.
I still think it is Alangium salviifolium, syn A. lamarkii, Grewia salviifolia
 Thanks and Regard

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100 "

OK, Garg ji.
Regards.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2009, 4:24:55 AM3/27/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
More details of Alangium salvifolium from Indiantreepix Database:
Alangium salvifolium  Alangiaceae
Angol, Dhera, Akola, Alangi, Ankola, Sage-leaved alangium, Ankol, Ankula, Arinjl, Urgu, Ankolamara, Ankolah, Alandi  23/2/08- in Vedantangal Bird sanctuary, near Chennai, Tamil Nadu; near Himayat sagar lake, Aziz nagar, Hyderabad- March'09?; medicinal plants - Alangium salvifolium Alangium salvifolium - indiantreepix | Google Groups 270209 Is this Alangium salvifolium? - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sage%20Leaved%20Alangium.html

sibdas ghosh

Mar 27, 2009, 11:07:27 AM3/27/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, indiantreepix
I  find from your mail and also from literature that Alangium salvifolium is not at all common in Bengal or N. India. The plant I Photo graphed is from Santiniketan, Tagore`s University Town. Tagore introduced a large number plants in which he took fascination. Perhaps it is also one of them. Now I have one more querry- A. salvifolium belongs to Alangiaceae, but Grewia is a member of Tiliaceae, Is really Grewia salvifolium a synonym of A. savifolium?