Sonchus oleraceous from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 24, 2010, 8:28:51 AM2/24/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
The third reference to Sonchus is the photographs uploaded by Suresh ji on May 4, 2009 and recorded in our database as Sonchus species:

as well as one uploaded by Devendra ji on August 14, 2009 and which I had identified as Sonchus oleraceous

Both these to my mind belong to Sonchus oleraceous. I have been observing Delhi specimens critically and have noticed that these have somewhat spiny edges, normal for S. oleraceous. The species of Sonchus are often distinguished on the basis of auricles, spreading and acute in S. oleraceous, almost rounded in S. asper. I have observed that all these features occur in different leaves of the same plant. I have yet to find an authentic specimens of S. asper and would urge members to look for similar plants with shaply spiny leaves like below and upload them

I am uploading my specimens of Sonchus oleraceous from Delhi

Date/Time-  22-2-2010, 24-2-2010

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  Vikas Puri, New Delhi, 213 m asl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- waste places, field borders

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Annual herb

Height/Length- up to 1 m tall

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- pinnately lobed with marginal serrations often ending in small mucro, basal auricles flaring or rounded but acute at base

Inflorescence Type/ Size- Ligulate capitulum

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- 2-2.5 cm across head, yellow

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  fruit cypsella, pappus white

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Sonchus-oleraceous-Delhi-2.jpg
Sonchus-oleraceous-Delhi-3.jpg
Sonchus-oleraceous-Delhi-4.jpg
Sonchus-oleraceous-Delhi-5.jpg
Sonchus-oleraceous-Delhi-1.jpg

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 1, 2010, 6:29:29 AM3/1/10
to efloraofindia

Sir,
we have some confusions with differentiating taraxacum officinale and
sonchus sp. please guide is with this

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 6:49:39 AM3/1/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Hari ji
Taraxacum and Sonchus can easily be differentiated in that we have only basal leaves in Taraxacum, there is not leafy stem, there being only individual scapes each ending in a capitulum. Sonchus has leafy stems with with several capitula and the leaves are usually with basal auricles. I hope that helps you.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor