Fwd: [itpmods:532] Pogostemon purpurascens at Malshej Ghat

J.M. Garg

Mar 1, 2010, 11:43:23 PM3/1/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Forwarding pl.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
Date: 1 March 2010 16:01
Subject: [itpmods:532] Pogostemon purpurascens at Malshej Ghat
To: itp...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

Believing this to be Pogostemon purpurascens, please correct me if wrong.

Date/Time : February 28, 2010 at 3.51pm IST
Location Place : Malshej Ghat, Maharashtra ... Altitude : 606 m ... GPS : 19°20'16.19"N, 73°46'37.71"E
Habitat : Wild ... Type : moist soil along ghat road
Plant Habit : low-height herb ... Height : about 40 - 50 cm... Length : - NO -
Leaves Type : simple coarse, irregularly serrated ¿ dentate ? ,  ... Shape : broad ovate, pointed at both ends ... Size : about 3 inches long x 1.5 inches wide
Inflorescence Type : spike ... Size : about 15 -25 cm
Flowers Size : about 4 - 6 mm ... Colour : white ... Calyx : do not know ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : do not know ... Shape : do not know ... Size : do not know ... Seeds : do not know

Other Info : the inflorescence looks to be extra-long compared to earlier sightings at Karnala, Bird Sanctuary, Yeoor Hills, Tungareshwar WLS.
Fragrance : did not smell ...  Pollinator : do not know ...  Uses : do not know

Regards.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

P1150529.jpg
P1150522.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 2, 2010, 6:05:00 AM3/2/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Dear Garg Ji,

                         This plant is indeed Pogostemon purpurascens (Family: Lamiaceae)

 Reasons to support:
  1. Leaves occur in unequal, opposite pairs.
  2. Leaves are elliptic, with serrated margin, narrow tip and wedge-shaped base.
  3. Stamens are  protruding out.
  4. Tiny whitish flowers, which are borne in elongated spikes.
Please Garg Ji donot hesitate with the plant size. The size or vigour of a plant completely depends on biotic and abiotic factor. I do agree with your comment;  such drastic change in vigour sometimes misleads in the identification.

I support your identification with full confidence.

Regards,
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)