Tree for ID: 080910BM1

Brij Mohan Bhardwaj

Sep 8, 2010, 6:53:04 AM9/8/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

please ID this tree

   Date/Time- 8/9/10/16:00
   Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Ludhiana, Punjab
   Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Garden, Urban
   Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Tree
   Height/Length-  About 25 ft.
   Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- young leaves tomentose
   Inflorescence Type/ Size-
   Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- Creamish White about 3 cm dia.
   Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- pods, some mostly joined at ends
  Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- fragrant flowers

Regards

Brij Mohan Bhardwaj
pic1 152.jpg
pic1 157.jpg
pic1 164.jpg
pic1 167.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Sep 8, 2010, 6:59:22 AM9/8/10
to Brij Mohan Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice pictures of Wrightia sp.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

bmb

Sep 8, 2010, 7:07:45 AM9/8/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Karthick ji,

I just found that incidently the post previous to this is also
Wrightia.

promila chaturvedi

Sep 8, 2010, 7:51:00 AM9/8/10
to Brij Mohan Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Could it be wrightia tintoria.
Promila

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 8, 2010, 8:59:57 AM9/8/10
to efloraofindia
W. arborea. Regards, Shrikant
>  pic1 152.jpg
> 152KViewDownload
>
>  pic1 157.jpg
> 84KViewDownload
>
>  pic1 164.jpg
> 87KViewDownload
>
>  pic1 167.jpg
> 227KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Sep 8, 2010, 9:11:59 AM9/8/10
to efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Hi Mr. Ingalhalikar,
  This looks like Wrightia tinctoria [Kala Kuda] to me. Please check.
                               Regards,
                                Neil.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 8, 2010, 11:29:54 AM9/8/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, Mr. Neil, the twigs in first 3 pics do look like W. tinctoria but
the follicles are tubercled and thick, the leaves at least with the
follicles look tomentose and look like W. arborea. The key is on
follicle; tubercled, grooved and 12 mm wide for W. arborea and smooth
and 7 mm for W. tinctoria. Regards, Shrikant
> > 227KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Neil Soares

Sep 8, 2010, 1:22:29 PM9/8/10
to efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Hi Mr.Ingalhalikar,
  The corona of the flowers here are white [as seen in W.tinctoria] whereas in W.arborea they tend to be orange.

tanay bose

Sep 8, 2010, 5:14:28 PM9/8/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
 this is Wrightia tinctoria
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose B.Sc (Hons), M.Sc (Gold Medallist)
Department of Botany.

Muthu Karthick

Sep 9, 2010, 1:12:15 AM9/9/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Flowers and fruits here differ for confining to a species.

Smilax004

Sep 9, 2010, 1:52:48 AM9/9/10
to efloraofindia
The flower belongs to W. tinctoria and fruiting branch belongs to W.
arborea (Gamble-II pp 815).

Regards,
Giby

On Sep 9, 10:12 am, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Flowers and fruits here differ for confining to a species.
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  this is Wrightia tinctoria
> > Tanay
>
> > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >>   Hi Mr.Ingalhalikar,
> >>   The corona of the flowers here are white [as seen in W.tinctoria]
> >> whereas in W.arborea they tend to be orange.
> >>                    Regards,
> >>                     Neil.

Neil Soares

Sep 9, 2010, 6:46:32 AM9/9/10
to efloraofindia, Smilax004
Agree with Dr.Giby. Hadn't looked at the fourth photograph. They are the pods of W.arborea. The first three photographs are of W.tinctoria.
                      Regards,
                       Neil Soares.