unknown yellow from Alipore 26-05-12 SK

surajit koley

May 26, 2012, 2:03:16 PM5/26/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

I always believe that Botany is for serious faced professors having baritone voices. Was trying to obtain ID of this plant by google searching for about an hour. But cosmos, daisy, zinnia, marigold, Bidens, Arnica all looked same!

So, it is before you...!

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : trailing garden herb, less than 1 foot
Date : 25-05-12, 1.32 p.m.
Place : Agri-Horticultural Society of India, Alipore (Calcutta)

Thank you and Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN4715.jpg
DSCN4717.jpg
DSCN4718.jpg
gram blue (Euchrysops cnejus) on un yellow DSCN4809.jpg
grass blue (maybe Zizeeria karsandra) on un yellow DSCN4709.jpg
grass blue (maybe Zizeeria karsandra) on un yellow DSCN4712.jpg

ushadi Micromini

May 26, 2012, 3:06:00 PM5/26/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit: good you got them....

this is peeta  bhringaraj in Sanskrit

Wedelia calendulaceae

  called simply bhringaraj in bengali
if you ask the local green leaf/herb vendor to get you bhringaraj in WB this what you'll get

Hort plants these in big long rows all over every year .
elliot park on chowringhee used to do so too!

In most of rest of  india, herb vendor/supplier would get you ... eclipta alba, bhringaraj....

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

May 26, 2012, 9:01:12 PM5/26/12
to ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Ushadi
I really compliment you on your great knowledge of plants, their local names and uses.  Yes it is Wedelia, but I feel darker (orangish) colour of flowers, broader leaf base and trilobate leaves suggest W. trilobata, which has taken over many areas as escape from cultivation. Wedelia calendulacea, now correctly known as W. chinensis, has lighter coloured flowers, petiole not expanded (winged) and leaves not trilobed.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

May 26, 2012, 9:18:18 PM5/26/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Good morning Usha Di

So, there is another bhringaraj besides Eclipta alba. This wedelia flowers are favourite to grass blue and gram blue. There were many of them.

Thank you very much, Usha Di.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 26, 2012, 9:31:47 PM5/26/12
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Good morning Gurcharan Sir.

Thank you for the ID of this species. Noticed that this plant is nectar plant for some butterflies.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 26, 2012, 10:28:39 PM5/26/12
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan Sir and Usha Di,

Attaching some more pictures for the identification of this species. Is it possible that there were two Wedelia species growing side by side? I stepped down my camera aperture (white  balance) to 3 or 4 steps in order to get rid of bright sunlight. This may explain darker colour of the flowers.

Thank you and regards,

Surajit Koley

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN4709.jpg
DSCN4717close.jpg
DSCN4793.jpg
DSCN4796.jpg

ushadi Micromini

May 27, 2012, 1:29:06 AM5/27/12
to Gurcharan Singh, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharanji...
by now we must be at such terms that you should not have to first complement me
... ha ha...

you could just have corrected my mistake, no need to go softly...

I must look into my notes...
Several years ago we were introduced to Bengali Bhringaraj at that very spot and I believe i took some pictures and may be even made a herbarium specimen.. will have to look it up and
read the refs based on what you just told me...
Thank you...
Usha di
==

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 2:35:38 AM5/27/12
to ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

Found a similar post by Balkar Sir at https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/wedelia/indiantreepix/6YNdU-JJjBc/HbuM7z1iDnEJ . There is a discussion over W. chinensis & W. trilobata.

Another post by Balkar Sir featuring W. calendulacea / W. chinensis is at - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/wedelia/indiantreepix/qEINwgEmD-w/sb3OyVsmxs0J .

But none of the above helped me decide.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 2:54:55 AM5/27/12
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Thank you and Regards,

Surajit Koley

ushadi Micromini

May 30, 2012, 2:05:54 AM5/30/12
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji: this is a question that just wont go away...

I quote you: " suggest W. trilobata, which has taken over many areas as escape from cultivation"   why is it cultivated...

would love to know...
thanks
usha di
====