Sanora

Joanna Van Gruisen

Sep 14, 2022, 3:38:06 AM9/14/22
to efloraofindia
Can anyone tell me the botanical name of 'sanora'. This is the term used for a long (insect proof) stem used in central India.  Is it Crotalaria juncea?

Joanna

image.png

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2022, 2:50:51 AM9/19/22
to efloraofindia, Joanna Van Gruisen

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 19, 2022, 8:05:15 AM9/19/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Joanna Van Gruisen
Hello Garg ji, and Joanna ji, I could not find any content related to flora for sanora in my available reference books and sites.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2022, 10:49:03 AM9/19/22
to efloraofindia, Joanna Van Gruisen, DineshValke
Thanks a lot, Manoj ji

Sep 19, 2022, 12:34:47 PM9/19/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
It is hard to tell from the photo but it is a dicot not monocot.

And I'm pretty sure now is Crotalaria juncea.

Thanks for trying

Joanna

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2022, 8:38:31 PM9/19/22
to Joanna Van Gruisen, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Joanna ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 22, 2022, 4:16:13 AM9/22/22
to Joanna Van Gruisen, efloraofindia, DineshValke
How are you so sure?
I could not find its use as a thatching material and it does not look like it as per images at Crotalaria juncea
On the other hand, Saccharum spontaneum images match and are used for thatching as per
https://www.easyayurveda.com/2017/10/08/kans-grass-saccharum-spontaneum-kasha/
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270895659_Saccharum_spontaneum_an_underutilized_tall_grass_for_revegetation_and_restoration_programs

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Joanna Van Gruisen

Sep 22, 2022, 10:46:18 PM9/22/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Not used for thatching.  Using as an under roof lining.  For thatching yes Saccharum spontaneum used in MP but we use Munja grass Saccharum munja = Saccharum bengalense and apparently now correct name Tripidium bengalense.   Info comes from locals.  Once the fibre is stripped off the inner stem remains which is what is seen inthe image.  Used sometimes as fodder also.  One local name given I see is sans which is quite close to sanora 🙂. But interestingly I also do not find anything written about this use on the net.  If I find out more I will keep you posted!
bet
Joanna

J.M. Garg

Sep 23, 2022, 12:29:35 AM9/23/22
to Joanna Van Gruisen, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Hi, Joanna ji,
You may be right as per details (although I could not find the exact usage as told by you) at
https://www.britannica.com/plant/sunn
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-389.html

Correct spelling will be 'Sunn'.

--