Ipomoea marginata ??-090410-PKA2

Prashant awale

Apr 9, 2010, 1:39:49 PM4/9/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this climber at Ganapatipule. Kindly validate the ID..(Ipomoea marginata???).

Botanical name:

Ipomoea sp??

Family:

Convolvulaceae

Date/Time-

28-03-2010 /9:10 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Near  the  Sea  shore of  Ganapatipule- Ratnagiri

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild   (near  sandy shore)

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Climber

Height/Length-

---

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Alternate with bluish black spots on the leaf, cordate, petioles around 4cm (photograph enclosed)

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

4 to 5 cm across, pedicles  approx. 8 to 12mm, Purple

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

regards
Prashant
IMG_6047.jpg
IMG_6051.jpg
IMG_6050.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 9, 2010, 1:51:30 PM4/9/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, you are right. Pls note the characteristic purple patch on the
leaves. Regards, Shrikant

On Apr 9, 10:39 pm, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> Came across this climber at Ganapatipule. Kindly validate the ID..(Ipomoea
> marginata???).
>

>   *Botanical name:*
>
> Ipomoea sp??**
>
> *Family:*
>
> Convolvulaceae
>
> *Date/Time-*
>
> 28-03-2010 /9:10 AM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *

> Near  the  Sea  shore of  Ganapatipule- Ratnagiri
>

> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> Wild   (near  sandy shore)
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *
>
> Climber
>
> *Height/Length- *
>
> ---
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*

>  Alternate with bluish black spots on the leaf, cordate, petioles around 4cm
> (photograph enclosed)
>

> *Inflorescence Type/ Size- *
>
> -
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*

> 4 to 5 cm across, pedicles  approx. 8 to 12mm, Purple
>

> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-*
>
> * *
>
> --
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> * *
>
>  --
>
> regards
> Prashant
>
>  IMG_6047.jpg
> 177KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_6051.jpg
> 124KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_6050.jpg
> 119KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Apr 9, 2010, 1:52:54 PM4/9/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
yes, strongly believing it to be I. marginata ... commonly known as: hedge bind-weed, purple heart glory • Bengali: বন কলমি ban kalami • Gujarati: હનુમાન વેલ hanuman-vel • Hindi: बन कलमी ban kalmi • Kannada: ಲಕ್ಶಮನ lakshamana • Konkani: आमटी वेल amti-vel • Malayalam: തിരുതാളി thiruthali • Marathi: आमटी वेल amti-vel • Oriya: mushakani • Sanskrit: अस्रबिन्दुच्छद asrabinducchada, लक्ष्मण lakshamana, मञ्जिका manjika, नागपुत्री nagaputri, नागिनी nagini, पुत्रद putrada, पुत्रजननी putrajanani, पुत्रकन्द putrakanda, तूलिनी tulini • Tamil மஞ்சிகை mancikai, மஞ்சிகம் manjikam, நறுந்தாளி naru-n-tali, புத்திரசெனனி puttra-janani, தாளி tali • Telugu: లక్ష్మణా lakshamana, పురిటితీగె putititige

Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 10, 2010, 12:15:49 AM4/10/10
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant Ji,
I am adding a description of the plant.........

Ipomoea marginata
(Desrousseaux) Verdcourt, Kew Bull. 42: 658. 1987.

Synonym: Convolvulus marginatus Desrousseaux in Lamarck, Encycl. Meth. 3: 558. 1792; C. verrucosus (Blume) D. Dietrich; Ipomoea sepiaria Koenig ex Roxburgh; I. subtrilobans Miquel; I. verrucosa Blume.

Herbs perennial, with a stout root and spreading hirsute or glabrous axial parts. Stems twining or prostrate, 1-3 m. Petiole 1-3 cm, sometimes minutely tuberculate; leaf blade often purple or purple spotted, elliptic-ovate or reniform to circular, apical leaves sometimes sagittate or hastate, 2-6 X 2-5 cm, glabrous, ciliolate marginally, base deeply cordate or hastate, margin entire or minutely undulate, apex attenuate or ± abruptly acuminate. Inflorescences few to several flowered; peduncle 2-8 cm, thick, often applanate, verruculose distally; bracts persistent, ovate or oblong, ca. 2 mm. Pedicel 5-6 mm, sparsely verruculose. Sepals ovate or elliptic-oblong, equal or inner 3 longer, 4-7 mm, glabrous, apex obtuse; outer 2 verruculose, margin thinner. Corolla white or purple, with a darker center, ± salverform, 2.5-4 cm; lobes 5, apiculate. Stamens included. Pistil included; ovary glabrous. Stigma 2-lobed. Capsule depressed-globose, 6-7 mm, glabrous. Seeds pale grayish white tomentellous, margin often with longer cobwebby hairs.

Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Prashant awale

Apr 10, 2010, 12:19:02 AM4/10/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks Shrikant ji, Dinesh ji and Tanay ji for validating the ID.

regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Apr 10, 2010, 1:20:41 AM4/10/10
to Prashant awale, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
WELCOME PRASHANT JI