A vivid dash of colours -Red flowering tree from anaimalai - Request for id | 21Feb2010AR01

raghu ananth

Feb 21, 2010, 1:34:06 AM2/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A vivid dash of colours -Red flowering tree from anaimalai - Request for id | 21Feb2010AR01

/* From our travelogue

 Kozhikkamuthy Elephant camp, Anaimalai, Western ghats,  Tamil nadu

The forest path seemed to be getting narrower and narrower and we managed to stay on course thanks to our driver’s expert handling of the vehicle. Soon, we were in a valley of sorts and we saw a few elephants here and there. We had in fact reached the Kozhikkamuthy Elephant camp and it was one of the most beautiful settings ever. At one side the Anaimalai hills, (anai means elephant and malai means hill in Tamil) rose splendidly in the background half covered by the thick mist that seemed to have enveloped the entire place . A few elephants were tied to their posts. Some were drinking water from a stream that ran close by. Inside an open building, a few people were toiling away preparing a hearty breakfast for the magnificent beasts. Big square chunks of ragi were being lined up on which was placed a little salt and jaggery. We watched with fascination as the elephants made short work of their meal. The elephants, we were told, are put to work in the sanctuary and two particular tribal communities of the hills who look after them.The indigenous tribes in this region are the Kadars, Malasars, Malaimalasars, Pulaiyars, Muduvars and the Eravalars We came back glad to make our acquaintance with the elephants and the ethnic communities.

*/

Date/Time-06 Dec 2009

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Kozhikkamuthy Elephant camp, Anaimalai, Top Slip  Tamil nadu

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild / Western ghats

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Tall Tree

Height/Length-Quite tall, Approx 50 meter

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- xx/round, Large,

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-red flowers,

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- Worshiped by tribal community

Regards

Sunita / Raghu

DSC_6952.jpg
DSC_6950.jpg
DSC_6948.jpg
DSC_6947.jpg
DSC_6944.jpg
DSC_6940.jpg
DSC_6936.jpg
DSC_6899.jpg
DSC_6902.jpg
DSC_6915.jpg
DSC_6916.jpg
DSC_6918.jpg
DSC_6923.jpg

Prashant awale

Feb 21, 2010, 2:35:37 AM2/21/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu ji,
In Konkan region a tree commonly called as 'Kinjal" looks similar to one you had posted.
(Check for ...
Bot. name:  Terminalia paniculata
Family: Combretaceae ).

best wishes
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Feb 21, 2010, 2:46:41 AM2/21/10
to Prashant awale, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
....Terminalia paniculata (syn. Pentaptera paniculata) commonly known as: flowering murdah, paniculate winged myrobalan • Kannada: ಕಿಮ್ದಳ kindal • Konkani: किंडल kindal, किंझोळ quinzol • Malayalam: മരുത് maruth, പുല്ലുമരുത് pullumaruth, തേമ്പാവ് theempaav • Marathi: किंजळ kinjal • Sanskrit: अश्वकर्ण asvakarna • Tamil: பில்லைமருது pillai-marutu, புல்லமருது pullamarutu, பூமருது pu-marutu • Telugu: పులిమద్ది pulimaddi, పుటకరక్కాయ putakarakkaaya

Please validate the regional names.

Regards.

raghu ananth

Feb 21, 2010, 3:56:06 AM2/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, pka...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke
All,

Thanks a lot for the tree identities.

...At one side the Anaimalai hills, (anai means elephant and malai means hill in Tamil) rose splendidly in the background half covered by the thick mist that seemed to have enveloped the entire place. Trees of all sizes were scattered across, the red flowers of the Kindal  tree adding a vivid dash of colour. ..

Regional names (Kannada names)  : Hunal, Hunalu, Kindal, Huluve, Hunagalu.
Terminalia paniculata ,
Family: Combretaceae

Flowering season. White flowers (?), April to March. (From a regional reference book on trees)
Seeds/fruiting: Dec to May.

 Kindal tree in Dec 09 (Anaimalai, Tamil nadu), Do the flowering/fruiting season  vary between regions or from time to time?

I recollect one of the farmer who has Ficus mysorensis in his field saying "They were fruiting during July (rainy season) last year. But this time they are fruiting from Dec".

Please explicate.

Regards
Raghu