Three kachri fruits: which is which?

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2013, 12:00:40 AM9/26/13
to efloraofindia, Susanne Renner, Harry Paris
It is understandable to find so many cultivars of Cucumis melo var. melo maintained in cultivation. It is also safe to include all wild forms sold in India under the name Cucumis melo var. agrestis (with synonyms C. trigonous, C. pubescens and C. callosus), but when trying to pin point the exact links problems do arise since the common Kachri (Selni in Maharashta, Chibar) in Rajasthan would find names linked to any of the three commonly referred species from India). C. callosus is supposed to differ from others, if not in fruit then by deeply lobed leaves (so should be C. trigonous a it is treated as synonym of C. callosus in Fascicles of Flora of India by Chatterjee), as uploaded by me

Chatterjee includes only C. pubescens under var. agrestis (supposed to have less or not-divided leaves.

I have now three very distinct fruits in my hand
1. Kachri or Chibar from Rajasthan with fruit 4.5-6 cm long, green spotted with dark green, large seed cavity, thin flesh zone and lage 8-10 mm long seeds.

2. Bari Kachri, with 6-10 long fruits, oblong to subglobose with broader dark green patches and similar flesh and seed cavity but with yellowish pulp. One narrower fruit among the three looks somewhat trigonous, narrower in length-breadth ratio. Like kachri is mostly eaten raw or pickled.

3. Chhoti kachri seen for the first time in market with much smaller fruit barely 2-3 cm long and seeds just 3-4 mm long. It is supposed to be cooked as vegetable. It may turn out to be some distinct species.

Waiting for your inputs.

Chibar-Rajasthan-2-a.jpg
Chibar-Rajasthan-3.jpg
Bari kachri-fruit-6-9cm-seed8-10mm--Delhi-1.jpg
Bari kachri-fruit-6-9cm-seed8-10mm-Delhi-2.jpg
Bari kachri-fruit-6-9cm-seed8-10mm-Delhi-3.jpg
Chhoti-kachri-fruit 2-3 cm-seeds3-4mm-Delhi-1.jpg
Chhoti-kachri-fruit 2-3 cm-seeds3-4mm-Delhi-2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2013, 1:04:21 AM9/26/13
to efloraofindia, Susanne Renner, Harry Paris
Please read Chatterjee as Chakravarty, who has done a lot of work on Indian Cucurbits.

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

Oct 3, 2013, 1:30:20 AM10/3/13
to efloraofindia, Ajmal Ali, arunk...@botany.du.ac.in, ren...@lmu.de, Vijayasankar Raman, Gurcharan Singh, hsp...@volcani.agri.gov.il

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2165 members & 1,64,000 messages on 31/8/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).