Request for grass ID-011009

rashida atthar

Oct 1, 2009, 1:07:22 AM10/1/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This grass is seen in abundance at both the main national park, and the south end of the national park in Mumbai. I had earlier posted the same grass for ID, but without flowers spikes, and it remained unresolved. The older leaves of this grass turn red. I am attaching the same  along with flower spikes now as seen at the Silonda trail, national park, Mumbai, on 27 September '09. Request ID for the same please. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows LiveT Photos. Drag n' drop
ID1grass.JPG
ID2grass.JPG

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2009, 1:18:02 AM10/1/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Neil Soares

Oct 1, 2009, 3:24:58 AM10/1/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, rashida atthar
Hi,
 It looks like Job's Tear [Coix lachryma-jobi].
            Regards,
              Neil Soares.

Prashant awale

Oct 1, 2009, 3:52:12 AM10/1/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, rashida atthar
I agree with Neil ji.  "Coix lachryma-jobi",  Have a look at following link..
best wishes
Prashant

rashida atthar

Oct 1, 2009, 10:46:16 AM10/1/09
to pka...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the ID Prashant ji, Neil and Gurcharan ji.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 13:22:12 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:19913] Re: Request for grass ID-011009
From: pka...@gmail.com
To: drneil...@yahoo.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com; rashid...@hotmail.com

Swagat

Oct 1, 2009, 12:31:31 PM10/1/09
to rashida atthar, pka...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Coix lachryma-jobi' is called 'Kasaee' 'कसई'  / 'Kanse Gavat' 'कांसे गवत' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2009, 7:52:38 AM11/12/09
to indiantreepix, grassman, Gurcharan Singh-sify, rashida atthar, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Prashant awale
May I request Dr. Anil Kumar to pl. confirm it as Coix lachryma-jobi or some other species in view of discussion in the thread:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/eec242f529429af3
as per remarks of Singh ji:
"Rashida ji
Your this plant is clearly different from one you had posted as Coix
lacryma-jobi post flowering stage? and which was identified as Apluda
mutica. To me this plant of yours has the basal cupule of coix but
definitely different from generally cultivated specimens of Coix I have
seen. This interesting plant seems to be reinvestigated, since it seems to
be growing wild.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

Nov 29, 2009, 8:52:47 AM11/29/09
to indiantreepix
Finally confirmed as Coix aquatica in a separate thread by Dr. Anil Kumar:
"This one is Coix aquatica generally found in paddy fields. A glabrous
herb with few tillers. inflorescence light pink in colour with erect
modified bract in the form of bead at the base which hav female flower
and above is male inflorescence."