PLANT FOR IDENTIFICATION -28

Debasish Joardar

Nov 27, 2007, 12:49:37 PM11/27/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Friends,

Photographed at Bhadreshwar, Hooghly, West Bengal on 11/11/2007.

Is it Corchorus olitorius, Family-Tiliaceae............. (Jute)?

Thanking you,

Debasish Joardar.

101_0476.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2007, 10:07:11 PM11/27/07
to Debasish Joardar, indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
It appears so from a few pictures I glanced through the following Wikipedia link (giving very interesting details), but I can't confirm.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Susmita Basu

Dec 3, 2007, 1:24:26 AM12/3/07
to J.M. Garg, Debasish Joardar, indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com

This looks like Corchorus aestuans, this differs from         C.olitorius (jute) in having 3 beak-like appendages on the top of the liinear capsule, have only one such appendage. The capsule is not discernible in this picture, but probably it can be verified later personally.

Ref. Flora of West Bengal, Vol I and Paschimbanger Udvid , Vol II by S.R.Ghosh, both published by BSI.

Susmita

Susmita Basu

Dec 3, 2007, 1:28:24 AM12/3/07
to J.M. Garg, Debasish Joardar, indian...@googlegroups.com, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Sorry, some part of my mail was inadvertently erased. What I meant was while C.aestuans have 3 beak-like appendages on the top of the capsule, C.olitorius have only one.
Regards
Susmita