Fw: Maerua arenaria from Satpura – 280110-NSD 134

Nayan Singh

Jan 27, 2010, 11:53:28 PM1/27/10
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
sorry the pics are now attached
Nayan.

Friends,

I photographed this climber in Satpura tiger reserve on 30-04-09. This was lying unidentified, today while browsing through a very old and valuable book written by Dr D. Brandis “Indian trees”, I found its description. I think my identification as Maerua arenaria form Capparaceae family is correct. Experts pl confirm or comment on ID

Thanks

Nayan.

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

flower.jpg
M.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jan 28, 2010, 12:21:05 AM1/28/10
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Nice pictures, Nayan ji. The id is also correct. But the accepted name is Maerua oblongifolia. The roots are said to be sweet, also used in medicine. It is one of the candidate for the ayurvedic formulation 'murva'. It is called as 'Boomi sakkarai' in Tamil; 'Nela sakre gadde' in Kannada; 'Hemakand' in Marathi and 'Bhoochakramu' in Telugu (source: FRLHT database).

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 28, 2010, 12:21:44 AM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, the plant is now named as M. oblongifolia (Forssk.) A. Rich.
Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar

On Jan 28, 9:53 am, Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> sorry the pics are now attached
> Nayan.
>
> Friends,
> I photographed this climber in Satpura tiger reserve on 30-04-09. This was lying unidentified, today while browsing through a very old and valuable book written by Dr D. Brandis “Indian trees”, I found its description. I think my identification as Maerua arenaria form Capparaceae family is correct. Experts pl confirm or comment on ID
> Thanks
> Nayan.
>  N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> Chief Conservator of Forests
> and Field Director
> Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
> M.P.
> 09424792100
> ________________________________
> Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!.
>

>       Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/
>
>  flower.jpg
> 158KViewDownload
>
>  M.jpg
> 163KViewDownload

Nayan Singh

Jan 28, 2010, 10:45:11 PM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Dear Srikant ji and Vijayasankar ji for confirmation and new name.
Nayan

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Jan 29, 2010, 8:51:22 PM1/29/10
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Sir, I think Maerua oblongifolia
You can see on page 42 FLORA OF  THE INDIAN DESERT BY bhandari.
Regard
Devendra
INDPIX Link-PLEASE ID DB-116 - indiantreepix | Google Groups