Enterolobium cyclocarpum

Padmini Raghavan

Jun 18, 2010, 12:35:09 PM6/18/10
to indiantreepix
What are these queer bumps on the trunk of this huge tree in Chennai?
They look like boils and some of them have a shoot sticking out of them.
The distinctive bark pattern is also seen.
I confirmed it was this tree by seeing the typical seed-pod under it on an earlier occasion (when I did not have the camera with me.)
Padmini Raghavan.

Padmini Raghavan

Jun 18, 2010, 12:46:28 PM6/18/10
to indiantreepix

Sorry I forgot to add the pics.
So here they are.
PS.
Could I request Ms. Selvalakshmi to explain what the meaning of the name E. contortisiliquum is?
Thanks,
Padmini.
E. cyclocarpum etc. 009.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 014.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 015.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 016.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 017.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 018.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 019.jpg
E. cyclocarpum etc. 020.jpg

Stephen A

Jun 21, 2010, 1:12:16 AM6/21/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix

Dear all,

Enterolobium is Latin meaning "in lobes," referring to the seeds in the pods.
Cyclocarpum is two Greek words used to mean seed/fruit in a circle, referring to the shape of the pod.

Refer: http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Entries/1946/2/14_Ear_Tree,_Sound_Food.html

Regards,

Stephen...

http://stephenindiachennai.blogspot.com/
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water
"Lets Protect What We Enjoy"
"When the last tree is cut n the last river is poisoned, man will realize that s/he cannot eat her/his money"
If you're never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take
any chances - Anonymous