sunbird with kigelia pinnata

ajinkya gadave

Mar 1, 2011, 1:53:53 AM3/1/11
to Indian Trees
hi
i found this beautiful moment at baramati visit.a Sunbird collecting nectar from kigelia pinnata
hope all of you like this.
ajinkya
kigelia pinnata.jpg

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 1, 2011, 1:55:47 AM3/1/11
to ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
Nice pict, perfect timing!!
--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

Prashant awale

Mar 1, 2011, 1:55:54 AM3/1/11
to ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
Great....  I liked this snap Ajinkya. Thanks.
regards
Prashant

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 1, 2011, 2:46:02 AM3/1/11
to Prashant awale, ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
The bird looks like a female of Purple Rumped Sunbird.
The plant is actually Kigelia africana (syn: Kigelia pinnata).
It happens to be a bat pollinated tree and it is pollinated during
evenings. I imagine if the sunbird female was lured by something
inside the flower!!
But nice pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Satish Phadke

Mar 1, 2011, 4:25:17 AM3/1/11
to ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
Great capture Ajinkya..........

hari lal

Mar 1, 2011, 9:24:44 AM3/1/11
to Satish Phadke, ajinkya gadave, Indian Trees
what a snap very nice
hari shankar lal