Straggling shrub for id 300110MK2

Muthu Karthick

Jan 30, 2010, 4:28:54 AM1/30/10
to indiantreepix
Dear members,
Kindly help to id this straggling shrub found on the hill tracts of Satyamangalam RF.

Date: 22 Jan 2010

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 30, 2010, 5:32:07 AM1/30/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Lonicera japonica, I suppose. We used to give cut at the base of flower and suck honey in school days.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

Jan 30, 2010, 6:30:09 AM1/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Many thanks sir.

This Lonicera japonica is native East Asiatic regions, belonging to Caprifoliaceae.

Does this grows only at High or medium altitudes? because I found this at an msl of 1000M and previously recorded in Nilgiris (in case of TN).

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 30, 2010, 6:56:22 AM1/30/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
1000 m is not abnormal, I have seen it growing at atleast 1100-1200 m.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Farida Abraham

Jan 30, 2010, 10:02:38 PM1/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
common name honey suckle. FA
Mrs. F. Abraham.
Principal,
La Martiniere Girls' College,