Mini lexicon of Indian plant names components

OZmic

May 29, 2012, 3:34:07 AM5/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I hope that works:
Mini lexicon of plant name components by the efloraofindia discussion group contributors

Assamese by Xobdo community
পাত   Pat
ফুল   Phul
ফল  Phol গছ  Gos ঠাৰি  Thari
ঠাল  Thal

লতা Lota

Bengali
by
Surajit Koley
পাতা (PATA) 1 ফুল (PHOOL)
2  কুঁড়ি (KUNRI)
ফল (PHAL)
কাঁচা (KANCHA)
পাকা (PAKA)
4   কচি (KOCHI)
গাছ (GACH)
গুঁড়ি (GUNRI)
ডাঁটা ঝোপ-ঝাড় (JHOP-JHAR ডালপালা (DALPALA) ঝোপ-ঝাড় (JHOP-JHAR)

English
Leaf, leaves (plur.) 1   Flower (sing.), flowers (plur.)
2   Flower bud
1  Fruit, fruits (plur.)
2  Unripe / green fruit
3  Ripe fruit
4  Immature fruit
1  Tree, trees (plur.)
2  Tree trunk
Peduncle / Stalk / Stem (sing.), Stems (plur.) 1  Herb
2  Medicinal herb
3  Culinary herb
Branch
Shrub
Vine / climber / creeper
Root
Plant
Gujarati
પર્ણ Parna

Hindi
फूल  phula
फल  phala पेड़ per

Kannada
ಪರ್ಣ Parna / ಎಲೆ Ele
 ಪುಷ್ಪ Puṣpa (sing.), ಹೂವು Hūvu (plur.), ಹೂವಿನ Hūvina ಕಾಯಿ Kaayi

ಕಮ್ಟಿ  Kmtti

Malayalam
by
B. Remanan Pillai
ഇല  Ila(sing.), ഇലകള്‍ Ilakal (plur.) പൂവ്‌ Poovu (sing.), പൂവുകള്‍ Poovukal (plur.) പഴം Pazham (sing.), പഴങ്ങള്‍ Pazhangal (plur.) മരം maram (sing.), മരങ്ങള്‍ marangal (plur.)

വേര് Ver‍ (sing.), വേരുകള്‍ verukal (plur.) ചെടി chedi (sing.), ചെടികള്‍ Chedikal (plur.)
Marathi

Nepali

Oriya

Punjabi

Sanskrit

Tamil
இலை Ilai, இலைகள் ilaikal மலர் malar பழம் palam மரம்   mara

Telugu

 పువ్వు  Puvvu

Urdu

Well! almost, we don't see the borders. I'll work on that, meanwhile keep working on the the missing languages. We are not even half way there.
Cheers
Michel

OZmic

May 29, 2012, 5:33:05 AM5/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Mini lexicon of plant name components by the efloraofindia discussion group contributors

Assamese
by Xobdo community
পাত   Pat
ফুল   Phul
ফল  Phol গছ  Gos ঠাৰি  Thari
ঠাল  Thal

লতা Lota

Bengali
by
Surajit Koley
পাতা (PATA)
1 ফুল (Phool)
2  কুঁড়ি (Kunri)
ফল (PHAL)
কাঁচা (Kancha)
পাকা (Paka)
4   কচি (Kochi)
গাছ (Gach)
গুঁড়ি (GUNRI)
Telugu
by
D. Radha Krishna Reddy
ఆకు Aaku (sing.), ఆకులు Aakulu (plur.)  పువ్వు  Puvvu (sing.), పూలు Poolu (plur.) పండు Pandu (sing.), పండ్లు Pandlu (plur.) చెట్టు Chettu (sing.), మ్రాను Mraanu (sing.), చెట్లు Chetlu (plur.)

Urdu

PLEASE REMOVE PREVIOUS ATTEMPT. Thanks. Mic

OZmic

May 29, 2012, 6:55:44 PM5/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Ok folks this is beginning to be overwhelming. I'll wait until I have some Gujarati, Hindi, and maybe another language before I post an updated table, otherwise this is going to look ugly. Can a moderator erase the white table please. We'll keep the gray one as a souvenir. As the vocab. came pouring in I thought that may be instead of having a huge table we could have several mini tables with one or two photos each to illustrate the point. For example to illustrate "plant" aphoto of a Banana plant and a potted plant. To illustrate "grass" a photo of a weed, a bamboo, and a banana plant. Do you get the idea? It would be highly educational as well as practical for us lexicographers...and all the keen photographers will have a "field day" or a "ball" ie. a good time. What do you think?
Mic
P.S. do not forget Citrus names. I am on stand by for more feedback on all my questions.
Thanking you all very much

jmgarg1

Jun 9, 2012, 9:58:32 AM6/9/12
to efloraofindia

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

ushadi Micromini

Jun 9, 2012, 2:05:29 PM6/9/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
I was hoping other Gujarati members of the group would fill in the Gujarati words...
THEY MAY STILL DO IT NOW>>>

USHA DI
--
Usha di
===========

OZmic

Jun 13, 2012, 5:49:44 AM6/13/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
Dear all,
Here is the table as it stands today 13th June:

Mini lexicon of plant name components by the efloraofindia discussion group contributors
Vocabulary is based on basic international English - refer to numbers for details (as in Fruit)

Assamese
by Xobdo community
পাত   Pat
ফুল   Phul
ফল  Phol গছ  Gos ঠাৰি  Thari
ঠাল  Thal

লতা Lota

Bengali
by
Surajit Koley
পাতা Pata (sing.),
পাতাগুলো Patagulo (plur.)
1 ফুল (Phool)
2  কুঁড়ি (Kunri)
ফল (Phal)

কাঁচা (Kancha)
পাকা (Paka)
4   কচি (Kochi)
গাছ  Gach (sing.),
গাছগুলি Gachguli
গুঁড়ি (Gunri)
1 ডাঁটা Ḍām̐ṭā
2 বোঁটা  Bonta (Bōm̐ṭā)
ঝোপ-ঝাড় (Jhop-Jhar) ডালপালা (Dalpala) ঝোপ-ঝাড় (Jhop-Jhar) লতা (Lata) শেকড় Shekar (sing.),
শিকড়
Shikar (sing.)

ডগা Doga (sing.) বৌল Boul, বউল Boul

English
(international)
Leaf, leaves (plur.) 1   Flower (sing.), flowers (plur.)
2   Flower bud
1  Fruit, fruits (plur.)
2  Unripe / green fruit
3  Ripe fruit
4  Immature fruit
1  Tree, trees (plur.)
2  Tree trunk
1 Peduncle / Stalk / Stem (sing.), Stems (plur.)
2 Stalk of leaf / flower / fruit
1  Herb
2  Medicinal herb
3  Culinary herb
Branch
Shrub
1 Vine / climber 2 Creeper
Root
Tubers / rhizomes Plant
Young/apical shoot Inflorescence / buds Seeds
Bark
Gujarati
પર્ણ Parna

Hindi
फूल  phula
फल  phala पेड़ per

Kannada
ಪರ್ಣ Parna / ಎಲೆ Ele
 ಪುಷ್ಪ Puṣpa (sing.), ಹೂವು Hūvu (plur.), ಹೂವಿನ Hūvina ಕಾಯಿ Kaayi

ಕಮ್ಟಿ  Kmtti

Malayalam
by
B. Remanan Pillai
ഇല  Ila (sing.), ഇലകള്‍ Ilakal (plur.)
പൂവ്‌ Poovu (sing.), പൂവുകള്‍ Poovukal (plur.)  പഴം Pazham (sing.), പഴങ്ങള്‍ Pazhangal (plur.)

മരം maram (sing.), മരങ്ങള്‍ marangal (plur.)

വേര് Ver‍ (sing.), വേരുകള്‍ verukal (plur.)
ചെടി chedi (sing.), ചെടികള്‍ Chedikal (plur.)

Marathi

Nepali

Oriya
from a number of sources
ପତ୍ର Patra ଫୁଲ  Fula ଫଳ Fala 1 ଗଛ  Gachha
2 ଗଛର ଗଣ୍ଡି Gachhara  gandi
ବ୍ରୁନ୍ତ   Brunta, ଗଛର କାଣ୍ଡ Gachhara kanda
ଶାଖା Shakka, ଗଛର ଶାଖା Gachhara shakha
2 ଲତା Lata ଗଛର ଚେର Gachhara chera

କଅଁଳିଆ ପତ୍ର Kaalia patra କଢ Kadha
ଗଛର ଛେଲି Gachhara cheli
Punjabi

Sanskrit

Tamil
இலை Ilai, இலைகள் ilaikal மலர் malar பழம் palam மரம்   mara

Telugu
by
D. Radha Krishna Reddy
ఆకు Aaku (sing.), ఆకులు Aakulu (plur.)  పువ్వు  Puvvu (sing.), పూలు Poolu (plur.)
1 పండు Pandu (sing.), పండ్లు Pandlu (plur.)
Phalam
2  Kaaya, Kaya
చెట్టు Chettu (sing.), మ్రాను Mraanu (sing.), చెట్లు Chetlu (plur.)

Dumpa, Gadda
చెట్టు Chettu (sing.)

Urdu

Compiling started in May 2012.

I think we'll have to think about individual tables with pictures in the near future. In the light of the recent fantastic debate about Bacopa and Centella, some new concepts have arisen, especially in relation to Sanskrit but not exclusively. A single table cannot handle all the info. required. Thinking about "grass" for argument sake: a 30 m bamboo is a grass, banana is a grass (plant - not tree), wheat is a grass. Ananas is a fruit but does not grow on a tree. You are beginning to follow my thinking. What better way to clarify all those examples than with a photo or two?

Can I please remind those who haven't yet responded on the subject of Citrus that I am still waiting for feedback. We haven't really started any Citrus debate. Please do not include my e-mail in any posting until August because I will be away from computers until then. I will report back on Citrus in August.
Keep up the good work, especially on the subject of organic food production. I have taught these concepts for 12 years, long before the word "sustainable" was pronounced for the first time in academic circles. The circumstances have moved on slightly since the days of Rachel Carson. Today the fight is political on a world scale and your Rachel is Vandana Shiva. A caring woman for each era, each situation.
Cheerios
Mic

Ganesh Kumar

Jun 13, 2012, 9:16:15 PM6/13/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
I am adding few kannada terms
Hoo ಹೂ(Flower), Moggu ಮೊಗ್ಗು(Flower bud),ಪುಷ್ಪಪಾತ್ರೆ Pushpa patre(calyx),
paragaಪರಾಗ (Stamen), ಪರಾಗರೇಣುParaga renu (Dust from stamen),ಕಾಂಡ Kanda(stem), ಬೇರುBeru(Root)
Rembe ಕೆಂಬೆ(Branch), ಪೊದೆPode (shrub), ಬಳ್ಳಿballi(Creeper), ಗಡ್ಡೆGadde(Tuber), ಮಿಡಿ(Midi)Young fruit ,
ಚಿಗುರು(chiguru)young shoot, ತೊಗಟೆ(Togate, bark), ಸಾರಭಾಗ Sara bhaga (Heart wood), ಹಾಲು Haalu(Latex), ಮುಳ್ಳು Mullu(spine / Thorn)
Pushpa shalakae (ಪುಷ್ಪಶಲಾಕೆ) , Thottu (petiole) / peduncle)
1   Flower (sing.), flowers (plur.)
2   Flower bud
1  Fruit, fruits (plur.)
2  Unripe / green fruit
3  Ripe fruit
4  Immature fruit
1  Tree, trees (plur.)
2  Tree trunk
1 Peduncle / Stalk / Stem (sing.), Stems (plur.)
2 Stalk of leaf / flower / fruit
1  Herb
2  Medicinal herb
3  Culinary herb
Branch
Shrub
1 Vine / climber 2 Creeper
Root
Tubers / rhizomes Plant
Young/apical shoot Inflorescence / buds Seeds
Bark

  Hope this helps. I am unable to do this in a table form in web.
If need any terms in kannada or Sanskrit you can ask me. Hopefully I can help.
Dr.Ganesh
--
Dr.ganesh Kumar
Dr.Vijaya lakshmi

Ph: 9480514378
Ph: 9480514387
080-22428739
080-22420582

Ganesh Kumar

Jun 16, 2012, 9:09:24 PM6/16/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Ganesh Kumar <ganeshk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am adding few kannada term. they are highlighted in pink.
Kannada
ಪರ್ಣ Parna / ಎಲೆ Ele ಚಿಗುರು(chiguru)young shoot,ಹಾಲು Haalu(Latex),  ಪುಷ್ಪ Puṣpa (sing.), ಹೂವು Hūvu (plur.), ಹೂವಿನ Hūvina, Hoo ಹೂ(Flower), Moggu ಮೊಗ್ಗು(Flower bud), ಪುಷ್ಪಪಾತ್ರೆ Pushpa patre(calyx), ಪುಂಕೇಸರ Pum Kesara(Stamen), ಪರಾಗರೇಣುParaga renu (Dust from stamen), (ಪುಷ್ಪಶಲಾಕೆ) Pushpa shalakae, Pistil  Thottu (petiole) / peduncle) ಕಾಯಿ Kaayi, ಹೀಚು(), ಮಿಡಿ(Midi)Young fruit
ಕಾಂಡ Kanda(stem), ಬೇರುBeru(Root)
Rembe ಕೆಂಬೆ(Branch), ಪೊದೆPode (shrub), ಬಳ್ಳಿballi(Creeper), ಗಡ್ಡೆGadde(Tuber),  ತೊಗಟೆ(Togate, bark), ಸಾರಭಾಗ Sara bhaga (Heart wood), ಮುಳ್ಳು Mullu(spine / Thorn)

ಕಮ್ಟಿ  Kmtti

Ganesh Kumar

Jun 17, 2012, 10:40:43 PM6/17/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
Dear sir/madam,
Can you Add headings to each column? So that we know where to add which part name.
E.g: Names of part of root, parts of stem, Leaf, flower, fruit, seed etc,
otherwise adding multiple names or adding extra may become difficult.
Thank you
Dr.Ganesh

Dr.Ganesh Kumar Ayurvedaaharya

Jul 2, 2012, 10:57:40 PM7/2/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
What exactly you want about citrus fruits. names in languages? names of various citrus in various languages?