I'd request for Brassica sp.

Shakir Ahmad

Nov 4, 2022, 4:21:51 AM11/4/22
to efloraofindia
Screenshot_2022-11-04-13-26-14-696_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-04-13-26-02-650_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-04-13-26-07-097_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-04-13-25-57-853_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 4, 2022, 4:45:08 AM11/4/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Shakir Ahmad (Amateur Taxonomist), J.M. Garg
Location, date, elevation, picture date ?
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Shakir Ahmad

Nov 4, 2022, 4:46:11 AM11/4/22
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Location Ganderbal kashmir
Date of collection:4-11-2022

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 4, 2022, 6:19:16 AM11/4/22
to Shakir Ahmad, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Sisymbrium irio L. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Shakir Ahmad

Nov 4, 2022, 6:24:17 AM11/4/22
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
thank you so much saroj sir

Regards,

Shakir Ahmad M.Sc. Botany, Central University of Kashmir, Ganderbal,J&K.

Project Director, Plant Systematics-CBD.
Wildlife Conservation Fund, Jammu and Kashmir.

Contact: +916005718173 saadiks...@gmail.com
Home Address: 001,Sangus,Kulgam,Kashmir,J&K. https://wcfcbd.wordpress.com/plant-systematics-cbd/

Follow Me On:

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 4, 2022, 6:24:56 AM11/4/22
to Shakir Ahmad, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
OK Shakir JI !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2022, 12:06:13 AM11/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
In Sisymbrium irio ( from a Wiki article) the upper leaves are linear and younger pods overtop the flowers but this does not seem to be so from the photographs. I wonder if this could be some other species. Incidentally this plant is called "Dand Hak" in Kashmiri literally meaning "Greens for cattle" i.e. wild.
Regards
taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2022, 3:07:40 AM11/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
A public domain photo attached (attribution:By ZooFari - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6202627) shows both features i.e. linear leaves and young pods overtopping the flowers
719px-Sisymbrium_irio_flower By ZooFari - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, httpscommons.wikimedia.orgwindex.phpcurid=6202627.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 7, 2022, 4:06:53 AM11/7/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA, Saroj Kasaju, saadiks...@gmail.com
Yes, appears close to images of Sisymbrium loeselii L. at
https://efloraofindia.com/2011/03/30/sisymbrium-loeselii/
Further keys can be checked in BSI Flora of India and Flora of Pakistan, as both are quite close.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Shakir Ahmad

Nov 7, 2022, 4:10:04 AM11/7/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, TAFA, Saroj Kasaju
I too agree with S.loselli

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2022, 2:07:49 AM11/8/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji and Shakir Ji
Thanks for comments
Sisymbrium loeselii is common in Kashmir and is called "Tsari Lashij" meaning "sparrows broom" because of its dainty habit .
It is well known for its medicinal uses.
The photos posted by Shakir Ji appear to be of another plant called "Dand Hak" meaning  "Greens for Cattle" because of its robust habit. It is not reputed to be medicinally important. I have also attached a photo of a small "Dand Hak" plant.
In "Dand Hak" the leaves are much more deeply lobed than in S . loeselii. Please see attached photos comparing the two side by side.
In "Dand Hak" the stem has denser and bigger hairs than in S. loeselii. Please see attached photos comparing the two side by side.
Whether it is a variety of S.loeselii or a different  species is beyond my competence to opine on.
Perhaps Gurcharan Ji who has published papers from Botany Department of Kashmir University in his early career could guide us in this matter.
Regards
taffazull

dandhak.jpg
stem comparision.JPG
leaf comparision.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 9, 2022, 4:29:07 AM11/9/22
to GurcharanSingh, TAFA, indian...@googlegroups.com
To me both appear to be the same species.
Maybe Singh ji can clarify further.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2022, 4:35:52 AM11/9/22
to eFloraofIndia
Maybe they are two varieties of same species but different enough to have different local names
Thanks for clarifying
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh