Shrub for id 131110MK2

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Muthu Karthick

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 5:54:34 AM11/13/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to id this shrub found near a water-falls, at bear shola in Kodaikanal. The leaves are aromatic. Any possibilities for this to be a Urticaceae member?

Date/Time- 

06-11-2010 / 11:00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2200asl; Kodaikanal, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- 

closer to water-falls

Plant Habit-

shrub

Height/Length- 

1 -2 m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- 

12 x 5 cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size- 

axillary; 5-7cm longer

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- 

greenish-yellow

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- 


Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- 


--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Kodai 163.jpg
Kodai 164.jpg
Kodai 165.jpg
Kodai 166.jpg
Kodai 167.jpg

Prashant awale

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 10:08:00 AM11/13/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu ji,
I too think that this could be  Urticaceae sp.
Check for    Laportea interrupta
??
 
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 10:19:35 AM11/13/10
to Prashant awale, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I dont think is Laportea interrupta
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
            604-822-2019 (Lab)

raju

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 11:37:02 AM11/13/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Sir,
Could it be Laportea bulbifera?

Raju

On Nov 13, 8:19 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont think is *Laportea interrupta*
> tanay
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Muthu ji,
> > I too think that this could be  *Urticaceae* sp.
> > Check for    *Laportea interrupta*??
>
> > regards
> > Prashant
>
> > On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear all,
> >> Kindly help to id this shrub found near a water-falls, at bear shola in
> >> Kodaikanal. The leaves are aromatic. Any possibilities for this to be a
> >> Urticaceae member?
>
> >>  *Date/Time-*
>
> >> 06-11-2010 / 11:00 AM
>
> >> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> >> ca.2200asl; Kodaikanal, TN
>
> >> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> >> closer to water-falls
>
> >> *Plant Habit-*
>
> >> shrub
>
> >> *Height/Length-*
>
> >> 1 -2 m
>
> >> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> >> 12 x 5 cm
>
> >> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> >> axillary; 5-7cm longer
>
> >> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> >> greenish-yellow
>
> >> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> >> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> >> --
> >> Muthu Karthick, N
> >> Junior Research Fellow
> >> Care Earth Trust
> >> #15, second main road,
> >> Thillai ganga nagar,
> >> Chennai - 600 061
> >> Mob: 09626833911
> >>www.careearthtrust.org
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Pankaj Kumar

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 12:49:35 PM11/13/10
to raju, efloraofindia
Laportea for sure, but doubt about interrupta.
Pankaj

--
***********************************************
"TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"


Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

C KUNHIKANNAN

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 2:21:08 PM11/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, raju, efloraofindia
I think it is a species of Pilea with species name resembling
melastoma. I am not remembering the exact species name
kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,
Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding,
Forest Campus,  R.S.Puram,
Coimbatore-641002, Tamilnadu.

Mahadeswara

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 10:01:38 PM11/13/10
to efloraofindia
For me it looks like Pilea melastomoides (syn. Urtica melastomoides)

On Nov 13, 3:54 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Kindly help to id this shrub found near a water-falls, at bear shola in
> Kodaikanal. The leaves are aromatic. Any possibilities for this to be a
> Urticaceae member?
>
>  *Date/Time-*
>
> 06-11-2010 / 11:00 AM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.2200asl; Kodaikanal, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> closer to water-falls
>
> *Plant Habit-*
>
> shrub
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> 1 -2 m
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> 12 x 5 cm
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> axillary; 5-7cm longer
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> greenish-yellow
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Junior Research Fellow
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 09626833911www.careearthtrust.org
>
>  Kodai 163.jpg
> 230KViewDownload
>
>  Kodai 164.jpg
> 219KViewDownload
>
>  Kodai 165.jpg
> 143KViewDownload
>
>  Kodai 166.jpg
> 129KViewDownload
>
>  Kodai 167.jpg
> 177KViewDownload

tanay bose

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 11:21:18 PM11/13/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
I think you are correct Muthu as because the leaves imitates members of Melastomataceae
tanay
--
Tanay Bose

raju

unread,
Nov 13, 2010, 11:24:52 PM11/13/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Kunhikannan Sir & Mahadeswaraji,

I agree. It is easy to identify Pilea melastomoides from the swollen
internode shape (though not visible in the pics). I ll post some pics
the sp collected from my study area.

Regards

Raju
> > 177KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Muthu Karthick

unread,
Nov 15, 2010, 5:43:08 AM11/15/10
to raju, efloraofindia
Dear all, 
Many thanks for the valuable inputs and leads. I could narrow down this Shola species to Pilea melastomoides (Poir.) Blume of Urticaceae. 
Syn: Pilea trinervia Wight.

Muthu Karthick

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 3:04:20 AM12/23/10
to raju, efloraofindia
Dear Rajuji,
Could you please post Pilea melastomoides picture, for comparison?

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, raju <dasr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages