Coleus aromaticus

rashida atthar

Jan 22, 2010, 1:35:07 AM1/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Saw this Coleus aromaticus at the Kalina campus of University of Mumbai on 17 Jan.'10.

regards,
Rashida.

New Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.
Coleus aromaticus-paan owa.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 22, 2010, 9:03:24 AM1/22/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
Your mail has prompted me to do some reasearch, which have cleared things for me. I had posted similar plant and suspected it to be Coleus aromaticus or C. amboinicus. There were different comments on that:

Vijayadas ji suggested it be a species of Plectranthus, so did Pankaj Oudhia in separate post, but finally Pardeshi ji confirmed it as Coleus amboinicus, and we settled for that.

Today I looked GRIN Database which considers Plectranthus amboinicus to be an accepted name and Coleus amboinicus as synonym. It is silent about Coleus aromaticus (not listed). Next I looked up KEW checklist, which also records Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng. as accepted name and both Coleus amboinicus Lour. and Coleus aromaticus Benth. as synonyms. That settles our issue, both our plants are Plectranthus amboinicus, and that Vijayadas ji and Pankaj Oudyia ji were also right.

with regards

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

rashida atthar

Jan 23, 2010, 1:22:01 AM1/23/10
to sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Dr. Gurcharan for all the details and links.  Dave's garden also mentions all the three as Synonyms. I forgot to mention that this plant was also a display by MNP at Kalina campus.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:33:24 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:26720] Coleus aromaticus
From: sing...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jan 23, 2010, 5:24:40 AM1/23/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the information Gurcharan Sir.
You know TRAFFIC India and WWF are undertaking a project on the status
of Coleus aromaticus in western Himalayas. Seems I will have to inform
them about this taxonomic issue.
Regards
Pankaj

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jan 23, 2010, 5:33:05 AM1/23/10
to efloraofindia
For Gurcharan Sir and members,

I just thought of sharing this. You know, according to Kew's
Checklist, seems Coleus genus is altogether discarded and all of its
species has been transferred to Plectranthus.

Plectranthus L'Hér., Stirp. Nov.: 84, verso (1788).
Heterotypic Synonym: Coleus Lour., Fl. Cochinch.: 372 (1790).

Regards
Pankaj