Vanni Tree - Prosopis cineraria

Chithra V

Jan 5, 2009, 11:03:37 AM1/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Does anyone have any pictures of the pods of the Vanni tree? Prosopis cineraria
Chithra

J.M. Garg

Jan 6, 2009, 9:43:51 AM1/6/09
to Chithra V, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Chithra ji,
I have many photos but not that of the pods. Why do you require it?

2009/1/5 Chithra V <chith...@gmail.com>
Hi,
Does anyone have any pictures of the pods of the Vanni tree? Prosopis cineraria
Chithra

satish phadke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:08:22 AM1/6/09
to Chithra V, indian...@googlegroups.com
Prosopis cineraria or Prosopis spi€cigera
This is called as "SHAMI" in Marathi and it is included in the Leaves(Patri's) offered to Lord Ganesh during the Ganesh Festival. Instead of actual Many alternatives are also sold mimicking the originals. I am also interested to know its location in Pune or around just out of interest.
Satish Phadke

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Chithra V

Jan 6, 2009, 10:20:32 AM1/6/09
to satish phadke, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I was walking in the Kalakshetra campus (Chennai) when I came across this tree that seems so much like Prosopis cineraria in all aspects - leaves, flower, trunk but the pods don't seem to look like those I have seen pictures of in my google search.  This tree had pods that were more flattened than rounded. I will take a picture of the pods tomorrow and post it for confirmation.
Thanks for the responses.
BTW, I guess Prosopis cineraria and Prosopis spicigera are synonyms?
Chithra

satish phadke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:25:43 AM1/6/09
to Chithra V, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
P.cineraria and P.spicigera are synonymous.
Its pods are described as straight, slender, cylindric,torulose.
If they are not like that it has to be P.juliflora.(A very common tree)
............as per flora of Maharashtra state by BSI.
Satish

2009/1/6 Chithra V <chith...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Jan 6, 2009, 10:35:14 AM1/6/09
to satish phadke, Chithra V, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Chitra ji.

Here is a link to photo of pods, what I consider is Prosopis juliflora, commonly found on Gorai, Manori, (Mumbai beaches)

Regards.

Chithra V

Jan 6, 2009, 10:41:36 AM1/6/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As far I as understand this, Vanni does not refer to Prosopis juliflora, but is a name for P. cineraria /spicigera.
The pods on the tree in Kalakshetra were of lesser length and flatter.
Chithra

Dinesh Valke

Jan 6, 2009, 11:17:44 AM1/6/09
to Chithra V, satish phadke, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Chitra ji, thank you for validating the use of vanni for P. juliflora
I had referred
http://forest.ap.nic.in/Forest%20Flora%20of%20Andhra%20Pradesh/files/ff0635.htm

Hope the other name mentioned at the reference link is appropriate, which is:
Seemai-parambai or cemai-parampai = சேமை பரம்பை

Regards.