Berberis chitria Buch.-Ham. ex Lindl. submission AS6 June 2023

瀏覽次數:40 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Ashutosh Sharma

未讀,
2023年6月5日 下午1:38:472023/6/5
收件者:indiantreepix
Dear members,

Here's a new addition to eFloraofIndia website

Berberis chitria Buch.-Ham. ex Lindl.
Family - Berberidaceae

Photographed in Kullu district, Himachal Pradesh
Elevation - 2100 metres
Flowering - May to June & Fruiting - September

This species (B. chitria) is not uncommon in Western Himalayas and surprisingly some of the images of this sp. are already present on our website but are misidentified under page Berberis aristata DC., which is a quite different species and can be distinguished easily from B. chitria based on the below provided key.

Berberis chitria is characterized by loosely corymbose-paniculate inflorescence, with some basal flowers usually born in group of three, dark reddish-brown young shoot/branch & peduncle and having oblong-ellipsoid red to brownish ripened berries.
While Berberis aristata is characterized by 8 - 25 flowered raceme inflorescence having no flowers in the group of three, young branch & peduncle brownish - green never red and fruit ovoid to oblong-ovoid, bright red to slightly pruinose blue berries.
By tomorrow I will try to comment individually on earlier misidentified posts of B. chitria present on our website.

Thanks!
With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Berberis chitria fruiting.jpg
Berberis chitria flower.jpg
Berberis chitria flowering plant habit.jpg
Berberis chitria early fruits.jpg
Berberis chitria mature fruit closeup.jpg

Mahadeswara

未讀,
2023年6月6日 凌晨12:00:552023/6/6
收件者:eFloraofIndia
Beautiful upload with narration !

Saroj Kasaju

未讀,
2023年6月8日 凌晨1:49:552023/6/8
收件者:indian...@googlegroups.com
For reference :
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Berberis.pdf

Nidhan Singh

未讀,
2023年6月9日 凌晨2:41:522023/6/9
收件者:indiantreepix
Lovely pics Ashutosh Ji..
Great..

J.M. Garg

未讀,
2023年6月15日 清晨7:06:192023/6/15
收件者:efloraofindia、Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks a lot, Ashutosh ji

Berberis chitria fruiting.jpg
Berberis chitria flower.jpg
Berberis chitria flowering plant habit.jpg
Berberis chitria early fruits.jpg
Berberis chitria mature fruit closeup.jpg

J.M. Garg

未讀,
2023年6月27日 清晨7:41:452023/6/27
收件者:efloraofindia、Ashutosh Sharma
Hi, Ashutosh ji,
POWO gives it as a syn. of Berberis aristata DC. I think it may be based on 'Adhikari, B., Pendry, C.A., Pennington, R.T. & Milne, R.I. (2012). A revision of Berberis s.s. (Berberidaceae) in Nepal. Edinburgh Journal of Botany 69: 477-522'
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Ashutosh Sharma

未讀,
2023年6月29日 上午11:47:072023/6/29
收件者:J.M. Garg、efloraofindia
Dear Garg ji,

This recent change in POWO and IPNI is recent and is actually a result of my personal discussion with Dr. Julian Harber as earlier POWO used to give same result what gbif still gives i.e. - Berberis chitria Buch.-Ham. ex Lindl. as accepted name.

There are some nomenclature and type validation issues with the name Berberis chitria, however the plant I have post d is absolutely not true Berberis aristata DC. so for the time being we resolve the nomenclature issues and validate the name I recommend you to please keep my submission only under name B. chitria ignoring POWO.

Thanks & regards
Ashutosh Sharma

J.M. Garg

未讀,
2023年6月29日 上午11:52:012023/6/29
收件者:Ashutosh Sharma、efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashutosh ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

gurinder goraya

未讀,
2023年6月29日 晚上9:44:282023/6/29
收件者:J.M. Garg、indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I agree with Ashutosh. Berberis chitria is a very distinct species and should be treated as a distinct taxa, and not under B. aristata. In addition to the differences from B. aristata pointed out by Ashutosh, leaves of B. chitria are glossy green, sour in taste and sometimes used to make 'chutney'. The description and drawing of B. aristata as given in Flora Simlensis seems to be that of B. chitriaThere are issues with its type validation, and correct author citation, which need early resolution.

Regards,

Dr. G S Goraya, IFS (Retd.)
735-B, Joginder Vihar, Army Flats, Phase-2 (Sector-54),
SAS Nagar, Mohali - 160 055 (Punjab)
Tel. (Mob.) +91-941-802-5036