Wild Trichosanthes

sibdas ghosh

Feb 7, 2010, 12:00:48 PM2/7/10
to indiantreepix
A wild Trichosanthes- T. indica (i.d. requested), a creeper, with
green fruits with white stripes, red when ripe, eaten by birds, but
generally not by human beings. In Beng. known as Telakucha, a wild
relative of Parol, snake gourd etc.
DSCF0061.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 4, 2010, 7:46:51 AM3/4/10
to efloraofindia, sibdas

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSCF0061.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 4, 2010, 8:00:46 AM3/4/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, sibdas
Dear Sibdas Da,
the plant you are describing is Coccinia grandis [ bengali: makal fol] ...please see the photo are u telling about this plant?

Regards,
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Coccinia_grandis_fruit.jpg

sibdas ghosh

Mar 4, 2010, 11:54:19 AM3/4/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you! It is definitely a Coccinia, the name did not come to me at that point. It is either C. indica (Beng. Telakucha) or C. grandis (Beng. /H. Kundri), perhaps the latter one. Beng. Makal Phal is a different plant- a large climber, often reaches tree top, with brightly coloured much bigger fruit-  that is -Trichosanthes palmata.
--
sibdas ghosh

J.M. Garg

Mar 19, 2010, 8:06:52 AM3/19/10
to efloraofindia, sibdas, tanay bose

Earlier relevant feedback:

“the plant you are describing is Coccinia grandis [ bengali: makal fol] ...please see the photo are u telling about this plant?
Regards,
tanay”

“Thank you! It is definitely a Coccinia, the name did not come to me at that point. It is either C. indica (Beng. Telakucha) or C. grandis (Beng. /H. Kundri), perhaps the latter one. Beng. Makal Phal is a different plant- a large climber, often reaches tree top, with brightly coloured much bigger fruit-  that is -Trichosanthes palmata.” from Sibdas ji.

Mar 19, 2010, 10:30:54 AM3/19/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, sibdas, tanay bose
... while have been considering C. indica is synonym of C. grandis ... NPGS / GRIN ref: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?10974, reflected also at Flowers of India, it is a pleasant surprise that they are different as quoted by Sibdas ji.

Question comes to my mind: What is C. indica in Marathi ?

Regards.

sibdas ghosh

Mar 19, 2010, 10:59:26 AM3/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Now I am also fully confused as I find C.indica and C.grandis are referred   synoms in many books. In Bengal we have a plant, a wild climber, known as Telakucha, its fruits are not taken as vegetables, even by poor people. Its fruits are bright scarlet when ripe, very much liked by the birds.It is also known as scarlet Gourd. On the other hand, as I had the idea, C. grandis- is the ivy gourd, fruits are edible. sold in the market as kundru. Now I have to look closely at them.
--
sibdas ghosh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 19, 2010, 11:18:04 AM3/19/10
to sibdas ghosh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose
... hoping some clarifications will come by and resolve the confusion.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2010, 11:16:50 AM4/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, sibdas ghosh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Sibdas ji
I have BSI Flora of India Fascicle 11 published in 1982 with me. It considers C. grandis (L.) Voigt. as correct name and C. indica Wight as its synonym. sometimes three varieties var. genuina (leaves entire or 5-angled), var. wightiana (leaves deeply palmately 5-lobed, lobes oblon), and var. alceaefolia (leaves palmately lobed almost to the base), but these varieties are not maintained as you may find all types within the same area. local names Bhimb (Hindi), Bun-kundri (Orissa), Telakucha (Bengal) and Bimbadhar (Sanskrit). The cultivated variety used as vegetavle is known as Kundru or Kundri, but except for slight difference in shape, the characters are same as type species, and as such not maintained as distinct variety.
    I hope this information should help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

sibdas ghosh

Apr 5, 2010, 12:49:21 PM4/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Thanks Gurcharanji,
Perhaps there lies the answer, one is the wild form and the other cultivated, Regards
--
sibdas ghosh