Shorea roxburghii of Dipterocarpaceae

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 5:43:29 AM3/12/10
to indiantreepix, Vijayasankar Raman

Name: Shorea roxburghii G. Don. of Dipterocarpaceae

Date/Time- 01 Mar 2010 05:00pm

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Satyamangalam RF; ca. 1000msl; in deciduous forests

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- large tree

Height/Length- up to 20m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- 10-15cm length

Inflorescence Type/ Size- panicle; 10-15cm length

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- 1.5 - 2.5cm across; petals white

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- highly fragrant

The resin is collected for ritual purpose.

Tamil name: Kungilium; this is also called as Saambrani tree.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 14, 2010, 12:05:41 AM3/14/10
to efloraofindia
Its great to encounter such a rare tree, it is indeed Shorea. The
fruiting calyx shows 3 unequal enlarged lobes to be Shorea. How do you
reach the flowers of such lofty trees? Any special technique?

On Mar 12, 3:43 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Name: Shorea roxburghii G. Don. of Dipterocarpaceae*
>
> *Date/Time- 01 Mar 2010 05:00pm*
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *Satyamangalam RF; ca. 1000msl; in
> deciduous forests
>
> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- wild*
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- large tree*
>
> *Height/Length- *up to 20m*
> *
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- *10-15cm length
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size- panicle; 10-15cm length
> *
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- *1.5 - 2.5cm across; petals white
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *highly fragrant

> The resin is collected for ritual purpose.
>
> Tamil name: Kungilium; this is also called as Saambrani tree.
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Junior Research Fellow
> Care Earth Trust
> Chennai - 61www.careearthtrust.org
>

>  Z 069.jpg
> 240KViewDownload
>
>  Z 070.jpg
> 159KViewDownload
>
>  Z 075.jpg
> 265KViewDownload
>
>  Z 077.jpg
> 277KViewDownload
>
>  Z 078.jpg
> 134KViewDownload
>
>  Z 092.jpg
> 355KViewDownload
>
>  Z 093.jpg
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  Z 095.jpg
> 124KViewDownload
>
>  Z 096.jpg
> 147KViewDownload

Muthu Karthick

Mar 14, 2010, 3:31:19 AM3/14/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
From a distant view, you could encounter fresh green foliage of this tree alone, in the Dry deciduous forests of Satyamangalam area [March].
Other trees have just shed their leaves and these stand odd now.
One of my tracker (a tribal) climbed up and plucked the flowers.  I done only photography.