Ephedra pachyclada Boiss. ???

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 29, 2016, 1:19:19 PM9/29/16
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Members,

Sharing some pictures I guess ia Ephedra pachyclada Boiss. shot at Leh on 22 August 2016.

I don't think it matches with Ephedra gerardiana
.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC_0921.JPG
DSC_0922.JPG
DSC_0924.JPG

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Sep 30, 2016, 3:03:20 PM9/30/16
to efloraofindia, jmg...@gmail.com
Ephedra identification is often challenging - especially as most of the specimens encountered have no flowers or fruit.  The joint-pines are adapted to
the low-rainfall of Tibetan borderlands. The leaves are reduced to scales on the stems (helping reduce the loss of water through transpiration), which are green for photosynthesis.

E.geradiana is understood to be the common, widespread species along the Himalaya (or more accurately, along the borderlands of Tibet).  I agree that the images
do not match E.geradiana.  3 species are recorded from Ladakh: E.geradiana, E.intermedia and E.regelii according to Dickore & Klimes.  Stewart records all three.  As for E.pachyclada, he states that Riedl. does not report this from Pakistan or Kashmir.  However, Kitamura reported it from the Chaman Pass on the Baluchistan-Afghan border.  Boiss. reported it from "W.Tibet", probably Ladakh.

I consider the range of the species is poorly known.  Fortunately, I have a much better (but far from perfect) idea about the three main species in Ladakh than I did just a few months ago but still consider myself a novice with Ephedras.   The images are not of E.regelii.  I currently think they most likely are within E.intermedia but will consider E.pachyclada.   Can anyone say with confidence which species and how one differentiates between E.intermedia and E.pachyclada?

efloraofPakistan for Ephedra: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=111784  But how reliable is this key?   Cannot make out any wart-like projections on the stems in the close-up image but cannot see the characteristics describe for E.pachyclada either.....

J.M. Garg

Oct 6, 2016, 6:58:51 AM10/6/16
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, chrischa...@btinternet.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

-
from Chris Chadwell ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

DSC_0921.JPG
DSC_0922.JPG
DSC_0924.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 20, 2017, 12:09:00 PM8/20/17
to J.M. Garg, Tabish, flowers...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, C CHADWELL
ID pending!

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 21, 2018, 2:06:20 PM3/21/18
to Tabish, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Tabish,

For inclusion in the FoI.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Forwarded conversation

Subject: Ephedra pachyclada Boiss. ???
------------------------

From: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM
To: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>

From: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:30 PM
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>, C CHADWELL <chrischa...@btinternet.com>, Flowers of India <flowers...@gmail.com>, Tabish Qureshi <tab...@gmail.com>

Need expert help for final validation of ID.

CC: FoI

Thank you

----------

From: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 9:53 PM
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com>, "flowers...@gmail.com" <flowers...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>, C CHADWELL <chrischa...@btinternet.com>

DSC_0921.JPG
DSC_0922.JPG
DSC_0924.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 6, 2020, 2:03:46 AM8/6/20
to Tabish, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Comparing the images from the book from Flora of Ladakh  I guess it matches more with Ephedra intermedia Schrenk & C.A.Mey.
Your opinion pleaes.
Thank you.
Saroj Kasaju
--
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 27, 2020, 7:33:38 AM8/27/20
to Tabish, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Request for ID validation !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 4, 2020, 4:36:59 AM9/4/20
to Tabish, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Garg / Tabish,

Any opinion from your side?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 28, 2020, 8:23:34 AM9/28/20
to Tabish, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Some more images from net for verification !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 17.05.25.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 17.05.44.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 17.05.36.png

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 28, 2020, 8:23:52 AM9/28/20

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 17.05.54.png

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 28, 2020, 8:26:48 AM9/28/20
to Tabish, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Deare Tabish,
Ok. I just noticed this has been listed in efi  site.

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 25, 2021, 11:30:06 AM1/25/21